What's new

Potential LAN transfer speed for N66U

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

jeff288

Regular Contributor
My lan speed seems to top out at 13MB/s with current wifi devices on the LAN and my router is using ~50% cpu. Does this mean that my N66U only has a potential LAN wifi speed of 26MB/s (megabytes so we're clear)? What kinds of speeds are everyone else getting with their new-fangled internet thingies?

I just ran some iperf3 tests and got 151mbit average over 20 seconds, from my Nexus 9 (2x2 AC?) to a wired LAN PC, connection through my N66U.

If your client was 3x3, that'd be optimal.

I just ran some iperf3 tests and got 151mbit average over 20 seconds, from my Nexus 9 (2x2 AC?) to a wired LAN PC, connection through my N66U.

If your client was 3x3, that'd be optimal.

Thanks for the response. I'm thinking of upgrading the my wifi adapters soon just for the wlan to wlan speed but it looks like I'd also have to upgrade the router to make use of those. Something like this can handle 450mb on an N connection while the N66U seems like the CPU would top out at 300mb according to my findings but the N66U is supposed to handle at least 800mb according to this so what's the deal? Anyway, I'm looking to get a wifi setup that can close to approaching HDD speeds, ~100MB/s, so what kind of cash am I looking at here? I've been googling all morning but racking my brain, pretty easy to do.

5E should do that. Might have to go to cat6 though. Seriously, what do you want that much throughput for ? compiling ?
Even HD streams are only around 20 mbit/s.
3x3 AC and short, no interference between, distances might start to get there.

I'm looking to get a wifi setup that can close to approaching HDD speeds, ~100MB/s

hi

lets look at the facts here , transferring from a giga lan connected comp to another giga lan can max out at about 117Mb/s over a samba type transfer from one pc to another

now in testing with a 2156M wireless router and an asus pce-ac88 wireless adapter and transferring from wireless comp to ethernet connected comp you might get close to 100Mb/s read

but if you go from one wireless comp to another wireless comp you will get no where near that and be lucky to get 30 to 50MB/s via transfers

---------------

now mu-mimo might help that but i doubt that much as mu-mimo is so one wifi device wont effect a second , not when they talk to each other

Something like this

its wireless N

according to this

its wireless N as well

I'm looking to get a wifi setup that can close to approaching HDD speeds, ~100MB/s

not possible esp between wireless clients

so what kind of cash am I looking at here?

spend all the money you want but at this stage nothing is going to get you 100MB/s plus over wifi esp between clients

26MBs is roughly 200Mbps so I would say you are doing pretty darn good for a N66. Can you get faster? You bet you can. Should you? Who knows. Need to better understand your entire use case to see if there is an actual solution and how reasonable it will be. For the speeds you are after, your best bet will be wired connections. As previously stated, when trying to have the client and server as Wireless, your speeds will not be anywhere near what you are shooting for without dedicated Wireless for each device.

your speeds will not be anywhere near what you are shooting for without dedicated Wireless for each device.

even with mu-mimo and dedicated wireless you still wont get close to giga ethernet speeds over 2 wireless devices even if they are 4 x 4 2156M and the router is also

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!