What's new

Potentially supid question, but just want to be sure I haven;t been hacked...

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

JimbobJay

Regular Contributor
Hi. I just installed Entware on my Asus-Merlin router, and one of the terminal outputs as it installed caught my eye.

Code:
Configuring locales.
Entware uses separate locale-archive file independent from main system
Creating locale archive - /opt/usr/lib/locale/locale-archive
Adding en_EN.UTF-8
Adding ru_RU.UTF-8

I have never used the Russian language on my router, nor had it set as Russia in any kind of locale settings. So is there a reason why Russian would be generated on the locales?

What with the all the recent press coverage of VPNFilter and the talk of it possibly coming from Russia, it is a little worrisome to see the RU locale pop-up when I, nor the router, have anything to do with Russia.

which makes one always wonder,"should i compile from source or use a repo" :)

No one has time to compile all the software they use.

A good first step is to understand where and who is building the binaries you’re using though.

No one has time to compile all the software they use.

A good first step is to understand where and who is building the binaries you’re using though.

Thanks. You're right. I should have done more investigating before panicking, and I should definitely be more aware of what I'm downloading and installing, and where from. I can only say that it was 01.30 in the morning when I installed entware and made my post, and I was pretty tired, and what will all the recent stuff in the news and then seeing ru pop up seemingly randomly, I just kind of panicked :oops:

Hi. I just installed Entware on my Asus-Merlin router, and one of the terminal outputs as it installed caught my eye.

Code:
Configuring locales.
Entware uses separate locale-archive file independent from main system
Creating locale archive - /opt/usr/lib/locale/locale-archive
Adding en_EN.UTF-8
Adding ru_RU.UTF-8

I have never used the Russian language on my router, nor had it set as Russia in any kind of locale settings. So is there a reason why Russian would be generated on the locales?

What with the all the recent press coverage of VPNFilter and the talk of it possibly coming from Russia, it is a little worrisome to see the RU locale pop-up when I, nor the router, have anything to do with Russia.
@kfp This is the great power of understanding and using the "Search" feature of the website/forum. Though the information/issue is ALMOST 3 years old, it is still very timely.

I was having some annoying minor buggy issues with *.js files not updating in Skynet on several of my routers. So I did a Factory default RESTORE with "Initialize all the settings..." checkbox checked. Reformated the USB drive and began reinstalling my favorite amtm scripts.

While watching the installation of entware I also saw "Adding ru_RU.UTF-8". I was very curious about this, not quite alarmed, yet. Doing a search for "Adding ru_RU.UTF-8" got me here in very little time.

Great Forum, great source of information, and knowledgeable folks! @ryzhov_al

Last edited: