What's new

Powerline + AP help

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

jabooty

Occasional Visitor
Room A: Main Router (Asus RT-N66R) + Netgear pl1200

Room E: Netgear PL1200 + TL-WDR3600 as a AP.

Comcast download speeds are 80/5. Wired pc in Room A gets ~70mb.

Before i tried the powerlines. My speeds on my PC in Room E (which uses a bridge)= 20-30mb. xb1= ~15mb.

After setting up the powerline. I can't get past 10mb on both.

Using the netgear powerline software it shows: tx:90-100, Rx:30-60

On the WDR 3600, i am using 5ghz; Auto channel/width. 11n only. I mainly need it in the room only.

I dont know where the problem is? Please if anyone can give me suggestions/help.

Last edited:
At best you may see 100Mbps on the power line. Did you try a test cabled from the AP through powerline connectors? Also, set a channel on the 5ghz band. You may have to try different channel selection for best throughput for wireless client, and, possible 5ghz usage in your area..

Thanks for the reply...

I changed the 5ghz settings. No difference.

I connected an old laptop, wired to the PL in Room E. Speedtests show only 7-10mbps.

So what does that mean, if my tx:90-100, Rx:30-60..yet im only getting around 7-10mbps?

Is that just the limitation of the electrical network in my house?

Your test shows the limitation is the powerline connection.
First move the adapters to outlets in the same room, or better, to the same power strip, to check throughput.

Powerline requires debugging and experimentation, just like most wireless. See
How To Troubleshoot Your Powerline Network.
It was just updated.

My gut tells me, that PL just wont work optimally in my household. Thanks for you replies, will return the item.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!