What's new

Powerliner Adapters Work with One Disconnected

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

ourcore

Occasional Visitor
Hey, guys. I recently started experiencing spotty Wi-Fi connections at my new place, so I got a pair of TRENDnet TPL-406E powerline adapters, since it's not feasible to run an ethernet cable. I live downstairs, and the main router (D-Link DIR-868L) is upstairs, which connects into a cable modem with a 50Mb/s service. Now, I've connected one powerline adapter into this router, and I'm using an Asus RT-N56U in AP mode downstairs, which connects into the second adapter.

I was moving around the adapters to see if I could get a better connection, and I noticed that my router downstairs still gets an Internet connection if the upstairs adapter is completely unplugged. I'm really unsure where it's getting the connection from. Could the cable service already be connected to the power wiring? I'm still trying to optimize my Wi-Fi, 'cause I think using my MBP in clamshell mode might be part of the issue, and this is making it really hard. Currently, it fluctuates from loading at a crawl to downloading at up to 2 MB/s. Any help would be really appreciated!

How was your RT-N56U connected to the main D-Link router before? If via WDS or wireless bridge, shut that off.

If you plug in only one powerline adapter and get a powerline link light, then there is another powerline adapter on the circuit.