What's new

PPPoE no need for cloned MAC, how to use the "default"/factory one?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

fluffyguitar

Occasional Visitor
When setting WAN to PPPoE, under Special ISP settings, there is a field for the MAC address.

My ISP doesn't care about my MAC and I'd like to use the one assigned to that port at the factory (i.e. no cloning).

How do I do it? Do I leave the field blank? Do I have to find the MAC from the router and manually copy it there? If I leave it blank, it won't connect via PPPoE.

This is where I mean:
Screenshot from 2017-09-20 22-46-28.png

Last edited:
Just leave the field blank.

If I leave it blank, it says Timeout waiting for PADO. If I put my laptop's MAC and change one character, it works. What am I missing?

Try leaving the modem unplugged for 5-10 minutes, in case your ISP has blacklisted your current MAC for some reason.

I restarted everything (modem, router) and it still won't take a blank field. It sayd PADO time out. If I put virtually any other MAC on clone MAC, then it's fine without even rebooting anything.

Remove " router" from that field and see what happens.

I am in the UK and use PPOE VDSL2 connection. I have " Enable VPN + DHCP Connection " set to "Yes" , the other fields are all empty.

No dice. I can change every setting in advanced ISP requirements, the only thing that will make it connect is to have any MAC in that field. If it's empty it will PADO timeout. Very confused.

Then most likely your ISP does care about the MAC, and you need to provide one.

So I'd like to use the MAC this port was given at the factory; how do I do that if an empty field doesn't cut it?
If you enable Telnet or SSH access to the router you can log onto it and issue the following command to get the WAN interface MAC address.

nvram get wan_hwaddr

sure you didn't modify the mtu or mru, I know that on my 88u if I changed the MRU under pppoe, the router wont reconnect, same as if I change the mtu under auto ip, which is bizarre.

MRU/MTU are both 1492 as they should be IIRC. It works with the WAN MAC, it just doesn't work when the MAC field is empty.

MRU/MTU are both 1492 as they should be IIRC. It works with the WAN MAC, it just doesn't work when the MAC field is empty.
Then you need to use the mac address on an ISP modem, I do that cause my ISP requires it, just punch it into the mac clone field hit apply then reboot.

Then you need to use the mac address on an ISP modem, I do that cause my ISP requires it, just punch it into the mac clone field hit apply then reboot.

It's fine with any MAC. I'm using the one the WAN port got from the factory and it's fine. I thought blank field meant default, i.e. factory MAC but that doesn't seem to be the case.