What's new

pppoe or not to pppoe

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

royarcher

Very Senior Member
My ISP uses pppoe . I use an Assus rt ac 88 u. Do I have to have to use pppoe as my wan connection type or can I just set it to automatic?

My ISP uses pppoe . I use an Assus rt ac 88 u. Do I have to have to use pppoe as my wan connection type or can I just set it to automatic?
If your ISP uses PPPoE then that's what you have to use. As to whether the 'automatic' setting detects & sets PPPoE as your connection type, why not give it a try and see what happens?

If your ISP uses PPPoE then that's what you have to use. As to whether the 'automatic' setting detects & sets PPPoE as your connection type, why not give it a try and see what happens?
I just tried it and no it doesn't detect and set pppoe on automatic. Maybe it's because of the need for a username and password on pppoe not sure

I just tried it and no it doesn't detect and set pppoe on automatic. Maybe it's because of the need for a username and password on pppoe not sure
Then in that case, you need to continue using PPPoE by selecting it manually. Simple :)

Automatic is strictly for ISPs using DHCP.

Then in that case, you need to continue using PPPoE by selecting it manually. Simple :)
I was trying to set up my router after updates and the like without having to enter a username and password but it looks like it's not possible thanks for your input though

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!