What's new

PPPoE Passthrough Chatty Log Messages

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Hybrid Noodle

New Around Here
looking for some insight as I have recently switched from a Cable (Dynamic) to FTTH (PPPoE) internet service. I am doing PPPoE passthrough through a HomeHub 3000(Bell Canada) and after the connection I am seeing these messages approximately every 10 Minutes (600 Seconds) and it keeps repeating. I can’t find much info on this and wondering if anyone can lend some insight on this as the configuration is pretty basic. (Attached are the logs and the configurations).

Currently running software version 384.6 on a RT-AC3100.

Attachments

• 69E77438-1A97-47D2-A9DA-5372F70D3E50.jpeg
    69E77438-1A97-47D2-A9DA-5372F70D3E50.jpeg
    22.2 KB · Views: 604
  • B670F010-71D1-46B8-AC8D-A0517915D84A.jpeg
    B670F010-71D1-46B8-AC8D-A0517915D84A.jpeg
    52.4 KB · Views: 372
why do you have NAT disabled

It appears as if your ISP is only giving you a 10 minute lease on your WAN address. Do the addresses in the messages stay constant or change?

I will try factory firmware and see if issue at present as well. Make sure to factory reset after loading asus original firmware and reconfigure from scratch.

@john9527, I am with bell as well and same setup, I don't see message like this at all. That is why I asked Hybird Noodle to post here, since it is very strange.

Last edited:
@john9527, I am with bell as well and same setup, I don't see message like this at all. That is why I asked Hybird Noodle to post here, since it is very strange.
This could be a case of the FTTH box not being configured correctly, hence getting short leases. I'd be on the phone with Bell.

@john9527 - Log messages are staying the same and the IP addresses are consistent.

Looking into things a bit more it looks like the Asus is getting two WAN IP addresses. One being a public 70.x.x.x IP and the other being the 74.x.x.x that is the same as the HH public up address (Currently the Asus is setup in the DMZ of the HH otherwise the asus also gets an internal 192.x.x.x from the HH). Both show the same gateway and it clearly shows the 10 minute lease duration.

Attachments

• DF19A043-A6AF-4DFB-A7EA-DCDA3957CCC5.jpeg
    DF19A043-A6AF-4DFB-A7EA-DCDA3957CCC5.jpeg
    59.5 KB · Views: 370
So I got rid of the dual IP thanks to an earlier thread (https://www.snbforums.com/threads/rt-ac66u-weird-wan-ip-issue.40423/) in which they were also seeing the same dual IP due to Enable VPN + DHCP Connection being set to enabled. I will continue to monitor but I think this may have been the culprit for the issue.

Asus router doesn't need to be in DMZ mode of HH3000, consider take it out of DMZ mode. I have VPN + DHCP enabled on my side, no problems.

I have fairly strong feeling, taking router out of DMZ mode, should solve problem, plus you will able to access home hub interface as well.

Lease time you seeing should be adjustable with homehub dhcp server, default is 3 days.

Hybrid Noodle, can you do the following

1. Take asus out of homehub DMZ zone.
2. Restart bell modem
3. Restart Router
4. Log in HH3000 and check dhcp lease time

Attachments

• wan overview.PNG
    wan overview.PNG
    326.5 KB · Views: 295
Last edited:
So my default was set at 3 days on the HH. The tech person in me is sad because he’s a simple reboot of all of the devices gave it the Asus the proper dhcp lease time of 3 days and I didn’t follow rule number one of did you restart it.

Thanks all

So my default was set at 3 days on the HH. The tech person in me is sad because he’s a simple reboot of all of the devices gave it the Asus the proper dhcp lease time of 3 days and I didn’t follow rule number one of did you restart it.

Thanks all
Good to hear, keep us posted if something change. Hope things will be fine.