What's new

[Preview] Early Asuswrt-Merlin 384.6 test builds are available

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

RMerlin

Asuswrt-Merlin dev
Early pre-release test builds are available for Asuswrt-Merlin 384.6. This release is a Frankenbuild, containing pieces from three different GPLs, and is not available for every models.

These builds received very limited testing, and are also early work in progress, therefore issues as well as future changes are to be expected. No support will be provided for these test builds, you flash them at your own risks.

https://asuswrt.lostrealm.ca/test-builds

Updated both of my RT-AC86U's and it works very well on both of them so far. Thank you Eric!

Running fine on AC3100 ;)

Running on one of my 3200 , working well , no problems so far . Seems the 3200 I bought 2 months ago had a problem 2.4 ghz radio with Asus FW and Merlin , the 3200 I bought on the models release has no problems with 2.4 radio . So my previous problems must have been HW related .

Just updated my RT-AC68U no problem after: 25 min..........:eek:

So far after downloading 5.5 Gigs of data, I see no upload spikes in the Traffic Analyzer that 384.5 had every 4 gigs. So, between Asus and you, that seems to be corrected. Thanks for your efforts!

Had 2g/5g wifi issues on 5+ apple devices; facebook app worked, safari didn't, nor did the app store; wifi laptop connected just fine with no issues. Same results with both RT-AC68U_384.6_alpha revisions g4284a1146 & gc644a0c; reverting back to 384.5 worked just fine. Apples worked with 385.6 with factory defaults; but importing settings & jffs backups resulted in the problem reoccurring. 384.5 fixed the problem swiftly without having to mess around. I'm assuming manually changing the settings without importing a backup could be a work around, have you found this often to be the case also?

Had 2g/5g wifi issues on 5+ apple devices; facebook app worked, safari didn't, nor did the app store; wifi laptop connected just fine with no issues. Same results with both RT-AC68U_384.6_alpha revisions g4284a1146 & gc644a0c; reverting back to 384.5 worked just fine. Apples worked with 385.6 with factory defaults; but importing settings & jffs backups resulted in the problem reoccurring. 384.5 fixed the problem swiftly without having to mess around. I'm assuming manually changing the settings without importing a backup could be a work around, have you found this often to be the case also?
4 Apple devices here.

No problems with 384.5 and 384.6 alpha 1,2 on 2.4/5.

Definitely restore to factory defaults and set up everything manually. Sometimes upgrades can conflict with your settings.

For being a “frankenbuild”, with very limited testing, alpha 2 is working great here. Haven’t come across any issues. Vanilla network here, but I’m sure some of the folks who’ve posted have complex setups and the feedback has been pretty good thus far. That’s a tribute to the person who puts these builds together. Thanks again, Eric.

I am considering updating to 384.6 alpha to see if the 2.4g issue has been rectified. I’ve had the 2.4g issue since updating to 384.5 and I believe a number of other users have experienced the same. I think I will hang fire until there is a little more feedback.

Alpha 2 installed on 86U, and working well in my environment.
The privacy alerts at install and the Admin-Privacy tab in the gui are new.

Last edited:
I'm testing to set "wl_nmode_x" regarding this list
Code:
Auto = 0
N Only = 1
B/G Mixed = 2 (legacy)
G/N Mixed = 4
G Only = 5
B Only = 6
A Only = 7
N/AC Mixed = 8
When I set N only (1) in drop down in 2, 4Ghz tab I can read (1) nvram show | grep wl_nmode_x but when I change to 5.0 Ghz tab and read again I get (0)

Do you get same result as me? I know its alpha but perhaps you get same behave in 385

EDIT: seems this value to 2.4 Ghz stays wl0_nmode_x

Last edited:
@RMerlin, what are the problems you've been facing with the GPL on the latest Asus blobs?

AC3200 and AC86U had completely closed source code for httpd (last night I got a fixed GPL for the AC86U). AC88U had one of its formerly open sourced files closed, and was using slightly different httpd code (probably a different code branch). AC5300 was still properly open sourced like in the past.

So that means I have none of the required binary blobs for AC3200, and I have incompatible binary blobs for the AC88U. I had to hack'n'patch things to make them work with the RT-AC5300 httpd source code.

Last night I received an updated RT-AC86U with properly open-sourced httpd, so hopefully that will confirm the theory that this was just a mistake, and eventually the other models will all revert to their former open sourceness.

On top of that, I also have to deal with a mixture of 382_50470, 384_20942 and 384_21045 GPLs as availabilty varies across supported models.

As for the RT-AC56U and RT-AC87U, I haven't received any updated GPL yet, so I can't compile these two models until they do.

This GPL stuff took most of my development time these past weeks.