What's new

Prime Option: Wireless Router opinions

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Sierraguy

New Around Here
I own a TM-1800 (essentially a rebranded ASUS RT-AC68U right) and an ASUS RTAC66U but need better coverage to avoid a costly mesh system or extenders. My house if a 1800 sq ft split level but with a strange layout that isn't conducive to clean signal due to location of the cable drop, electrical interference, location of the front and rear doors (am looking at a Ring doorbell and cameras).

We stream HD/4k (Netflix, Amazon Prime, Hulu, Showtime, Spotify, Google Play) in 3 rooms (a couple of Nvidia Shields and Roku Ultra, X-Box 1 in one room, 3 Echo devices. Plus will be putting in Echo Shows and smart devices. I have a Synology DS418Play but don't plan on streaming from it due to the availability of shows on the internet.

Prime has the: 1) Netgear Nighthawk x4s Smart Router (R7800) AC2600 for $131 down from $167 ($249 elsewhere)
* CNET says the Software is clunky and network storage is slow. I'm techie literate and have a Synology DS418Play for storage.

2) TP-Link AC5400 Tri Band Gaming Router at $229 down from $304 (over kill but what the hey)

I have preferred ASUS and was looking at the AC88U but it's nearly 5 years old and did want to move to Mu-MIMO.

What would the audience here say?

Thank you,
Brett Glines

I own a TM-1800 (essentially a rebranded ASUS RT-AC68U right) and an ASUS RTAC66U but need better coverage to avoid a costly mesh system or extenders. My house if a 1800 sq ft split level but with a strange layout that isn't conducive to clean signal due to location of the cable drop, electrical interference, location of the front and rear doors (am looking at a Ring doorbell and cameras).

We stream HD/4k (Netflix, Amazon Prime, Hulu, Showtime, Spotify, Google Play) in 3 rooms (a couple of Nvidia Shields and Roku Ultra, X-Box 1 in one room, 3 Echo devices. Plus will be putting in Echo Shows and smart devices. I have a Synology DS418Play but don't plan on streaming from it due to the availability of shows on the internet.

Prime has the: 1) Netgear Nighthawk x4s Smart Router (R7800) AC2600 for $131 down from $167 ($249 elsewhere)
* CNET says the Software is clunky and network storage is slow. I'm techie literate and have a Synology DS418Play for storage.

2) TP-Link AC5400 Tri Band Gaming Router at $229 down from $304 (over kill but what the hey)

I have preferred ASUS and was looking at the AC88U but it's nearly 5 years old and did want to move to Mu-MIMO.

What would the audience here say?

Thank you,
Brett Glines

Don't know the technical stuff but $131 is best price I have seen.

Asus 5300 on sale at Newegg also, link in "Hot Deals" forum. An excellent tri-band router.

True, a "more better" router may give you slightly better coverage but that will only go so far.

When I upgraded from Asus N66U and AC68U to AC86Us I did realize better coverage/range but ... I still needed an extender.

At home, also an 1800 sq. ft. split, I'm still running fine with a lower end Asus but ... I'm not streaming 4K nor am I doing anything fancy.

A golden rule in Real Estate is "location - Location - LOCATION". Same in WiFi, sometimes a location tweak of just a few feet (up and out) will help.

You already have two Asus routers? How are you using the 2nd? And you are still having coverage problems?

Pick a router. You may get lucky. If not you may wind up using your old router as an AP (extender).

Cost. I hear the Google Wifi (mesh) is relatively cheap yet competitive. A couple of my friends swear by it. (Myself, I'm not ready to give up my Asus -)