What's new

Print from AC wifi to printer on N wifi

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Richard823

New Around Here
I have a printer (HP Officejet Pro 8610) with only N wifi capabilities.

Many users log into the AC side of the Netgear WAC104 AP

How and what do I need to configure to allow AC connected users to print on the N connected printer?

Thank you.

Easiest way i have found is to use a print server and connect the printer to the wired network. Use one of the ones on the HP list. i use an old mac mini and share the printer across the network to windows and mac users. The users and the printer need to be on the same IP subnet as Bonjour assumes this.
Other option would be to use wireless direct if it has that capability. You may have to install a driver on each user in that case if the OS does not have a generic available.
If i recall correctly, only the print function is available across a network. The AIO functions are only available to directly connected devices with the correct driver and software.

Whether a client connects using "N" or "AC" shouldn't have any bearing. Provided that they have all successfully connected to your LAN that should be sufficient. I had a quick look though the Netgear's user manual and couldn't see anything in there that would suggest there might be a problem.

ColinTaylor is correct.

When connected via any interface (LAN, 2.4GHz or 5GHz radios), devices are connected to the same network. Unless they are in a guest network which also has the ability to isolate them from the main one.

That's exactly what I thought - they're all on the same LAN, (very small office, very few people) so I can't understand why AC clients can't print unless they log in through the N.
It's all wifi, there is no CAT5 available.
I'll give it another go tomorrow (UK time) and see what I can do.

Thanks.

That's exactly what I thought - they're all on the same LAN, (very small office, very few people) so I can't understand why AC clients can't print unless they log in through the N.
It's all wifi, there is no CAT5 available.
I'll give it another go tomorrow (UK time) and see what I can do.

Thanks.

Make sure they aren't connecting to a guest network that might be isolated from the printer's network.

... so I can't understand why AC clients can't print unless they log in through the N.
"N" and "AC" are just different protocols, with AC being backward compatible with N. So for example, an AC client could connect to an N-only access point. I guess what you really mean to say, is that clients connected to the 5GHz band can't connect to the printer connected to the 2.4GHz band?

"can't print unless they log in through the N": This was not apparent in your original post. Originally it sounded like no clients at all could print. Now it sounds like the only clients with the problem is those connected to a different band?

Back at the office, I've found that if I add the printer manually, I can print OK.
This is on my Chromebook.
I'll get a Windows and a Mac machine tested at some point.
It's not a priority, more a curiosity.

Thank you for the prompts, hints and advice.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!