What's new

Probelm accessing shared folders on Windows 8

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

wifesabitch

New Around Here
I have two desktops both have Windows 8 Pro 64bit, both just use the stock AV.
Router is the Asus RT-N66U

Both desktops have the same sharing settings (as far as I know) but I'm having problems accessing one of them with two different devices.

Using my Patriot Box Office media player and the AiCloud software (from the router) I get a pop-up asking for a login and password and I can't get in. It fails every time. But that's just with one of the desktops, the other it never asks, just let's me in. I don't get it
Any idea what to try to get this to work or any settings I need to mess around with?

...I don't have any problems accessing any of my shared folders using my Android devices either if that matters.

$90 for Windows 7 CD is a cure for lots of ills in windows 8 desktops. Erase/replace.

also, in Win8, turn off HomeGroup if it's on. Same for Win7 to interoperate with NASes, XP, non-windows SMB-based devices.

$90 for Windows 7 CD is a cure for lots of ills in windows 8 desktops. Erase/replace.

also, in Win8, turn off HomeGroup if it's on. Same for Win7 to interoperate with NASes, XP, non-windows SMB-based devices.

I like Windows 8, this seems like the only problem I have with it

Homegroup is off.

I e-mailed Patriot and am still waiting on a reply...not bothering with Asus, because they are just useless.