Probelm accessing shared folders on Windows 8

Discussion in 'Other LAN and WAN' started by wifesabitch, Jan 18, 2013.

1. wifesabitch

wifesabitch New Around Here

I have two desktops both have Windows 8 Pro 64bit, both just use the stock AV.
    Router is the Asus RT-N66U

Both desktops have the same sharing settings (as far as I know) but I'm having problems accessing one of them with two different devices.

Using my Patriot Box Office media player and the AiCloud software (from the router) I get a pop-up asking for a login and password and I can't get in. It fails every time. But that's just with one of the desktops, the other it never asks, just let's me in. I don't get it
    Any idea what to try to get this to work or any settings I need to mess around with?

...I don't have any problems accessing any of my shared folders using my Android devices either if that matters.

2. Log in / Register to remove this ad

3. stevech

stevech Part of the Furniture

$90 for Windows 7 CD is a cure for lots of ills in windows 8 desktops. Erase/replace.

also, in Win8, turn off HomeGroup if it's on. Same for Win7 to interoperate with NASes, XP, non-windows SMB-based devices.

4. wifesabitch

wifesabitch New Around Here

I like Windows 8, this seems like the only problem I have with it

Homegroup is off.

I e-mailed Patriot and am still waiting on a reply...not bothering with Asus, because they are just useless.