What's new

Problem w/ Latest Firmwares > .178 (Daily Disconnects from Modem)

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

I had the ac66u which i returned, had netgear r6300 which i returned, i have an rtn66u which this all started with- but i had the sb6121 modem as well, wan disconnects with the isp dhcp error. Bought a Zoom docsis 3 modem, as of last night no problems with downloads reaching max bw. Be warned the Charter rep said they are doing away with customer owned modem activation - I guess it helps limit the variables with tech support.

But they did allow you to use that modem?

Model 5341. Docsis 3.0. Been up since this weekend no probs as of yet. Used to be every night, or when downloading with sabnzbd.:eek: what a relief. I prolly can't bring anything more back to best buy for a year lol.

Last edited:
Model 5341. Docsis 3.0. Been up since this weekend no probs as of yet. Used to be every night, or when downloading with sabnzbd.:eek: what a relief. I prolly can't bring anything more back to best buy for a year lol.

Might have to try that. Though mine has been running for a few days now on the Moto SB6121. As long as my ip doesn't change the ip everything works fine. Fortunately, mine doesn't change often. Has your ip been renewed since you got the new modem? Has your ip changed? Just trying to decide if I should go out and spend the extra money on a modem. Already dropped $150 into the router.

IP changes with modem reboot or reconnect. Been steady for 5 days now. :) no probs like before... So far.

IP changes with modem reboot or reconnect. Been steady for 5 days now. :) no probs like before... So far.

Still good with that router? Had my RT-N66u disconnect twice today with my sb6121 modem. Really thinking of just buying a new modem. Though, I could wait for a new router/firmware update to fix it. Or, alas, I could go back to .178 firmware (an option I don't like)

Last edited:
Zero disconnects. 10 days 14 hours only due to a fw upgrade 10 days 14 hrs ago. That annoying unplug the modem and wait/reconnect to setup the internet doesn't ever seem to be an issue anymore either. I think the Motorola sb6121 was definitely the problem. :rolleyes:

Xrecar:

Just wondering if you are still having no problems with your modem. I have a SB6121 and the N66U. Cable company is Charter. Bought my router in the beginning of January. Had no problems at all until roughly a month ago. Thought there was something wrong with my internet service. Charter came out, tested the line, the modem, etc and determined nothing was wrong. Somehow, I was able to get the router to connect to the modem again. I have no idea how. Now, about 4 days ago, I get several disconnects per day. I have to physically disconnect the modem and router and then plug the modem in, wait a few minutes and then plug the router in. Sometimes it takes 5-10 tries to get connection. So, something has to go, either the router or the modem, but this is unsatisfactory to me.

Anyway, let me know if you are still liking your modem.

Thanks.

Xrecar:

Just wondering if you are still having no problems with your modem. I have a SB6121 and the N66U. Cable company is Charter. Bought my router in the beginning of January. Had no problems at all until roughly a month ago. Thought there was something wrong with my internet service. Charter came out, tested the line, the modem, etc and determined nothing was wrong. Somehow, I was able to get the router to connect to the modem again. I have no idea how. Now, about 4 days ago, I get several disconnects per day. I have to physically disconnect the modem and router and then plug the modem in, wait a few minutes and then plug the router in. Sometimes it takes 5-10 tries to get connection. So, something has to go, either the router or the modem, but this is unsatisfactory to me.

Anyway, let me know if you are still liking your modem.

Thanks.

Charter's DHCP will blacklist your MAC if it receives more than 5 DHCP requests within 3 minutes. So if you are having power failures, or are rebooting the the modem, you can end up being blacklisted for 5 minutes

I implemented a fix for this in my firmware, and Asus are also going to implement the same fix in a future release. That should resolve a lot of issues that are specific to Charter users being unable to renew their DHCP lease.

For now, if you have to reboot your modem, I advise to leave your router off for at least five minutes, and then turn it back on (giving your modem enough time to finish connecting all its channels with your ISP). That should ensure that you don't get accidentally blacklisted.

Sorry to necro, but I'm getting the same problems with N66U on 3.0.0.4.374.720 bought 2 days ago. I'm getting disconnects as frequently as every few minutes, up to maybe 2 hours if I'm lucky. I did not have these problems at all with my EA2700 before.

I'm in Hong Kong, using 100Mbit Netvigator DSL via the ZTE ZXDSL 931CIIA modem.

Strangely FW I'm running lists this as one of the fixes (http://support.asus.com/download.aspx?slanguage=en&m=RT-N66U+(VER.B1)&os=8):

• Fixed HK ISP DHCP connection issue.

The router had 3.0.0.4.270 out of the box however, which also had the same problem, so I don't believe the most recent FW to be the cause.

Has anybody ever pin-pointed the cause of this or a way to fix it in a custom FW? I'm leaning more towards Tomato at this point, however I'm really not bothered which I go for if I can find an FW which solves the disconnects.