What's new

Problem with EXT3 fs plugged to USB?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

gds

Occasional Visitor
I have tried to plug an old backup USB drive to my rt-ac56u router running 380.57 and earlier over the years and it never seems to stay accessible for any length of time. It continously thrashes and I see many errors like this in the router system log:
Code:
Jun 27 00:40:06 kernel: EXT3-fs error (device sdb1): ext3_find_entry: reading directory #4292610 offset 0
When accessed, e.g., with ftp, the drive contents do not remain accessible.
The drive works fine when plugged into a standard linux box, e.g., fedora, debian etc.
I have plugged a FAT formatted usb stick to the router and it worked fine. Is there problem using a usb drives with EXT3 file system?

Run a fsck on the disk, the filesystem might be corrupted.

Run a fsck on the disk, the filesystem might be corrupted.
Thanks. Will try that. But since it works OK on other linux systems, I have my doubts...
One question: should I run fsck.ext3 on the router or when connected to a std linux system?

Thanks. Will try that. But since it works OK on other linux systems, I have my doubts...
One question: should I run fsck.ext3 on the router or when connected to a std linux system?

Best to run it from a PC.

Best to run it from a PC.
snbforums seem to be down before I saw your reply. Anyhow, ran it from the router using fsck.ext3 (umount'd) and that seems to fix it even though it didn't show any problems. Thanks.