What's new

Problem with my router

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Jvamvakaris

Occasional Visitor
Hi from Greece. My name is John and am following up the forum some time now and I think you Can help me.

I have a strange problem and looking for a solution.

I live in a place where I can't have wired Internet. For that reason I contact a friend and he suggested me to go wireless with a ubiquity antenna. And that i did. That friend of mine works in a company that specializes in networking dut in a different city. He pair the two antennas and did all the configuration. I install the antennas and everything worked fine. After while the router in the house A started the wired thinks. While a had WiFi I didn't had Lan. The router was a Philips from an old Internet provider.

The router in the house A provide all the ip's. So I didn't have any network in house B. I change the router to a Tomson also from a provider. For a few months everything worked fine. after while this router started to do the same things. Wen I remove the cable from the router and pout it back again I had network for a few days. Then again the same. I bought a TP-link and I have the same problem. After 7 months I didn't had Lan but the WiFi worked great. After that I use a ZTE router also from an Internet provider. And again the same problems.

Now my friend who can't come and inspect it due the distance suggested to me to buy a microtik router but am skeptic because I don't won't to give some money and have the same problem.

Is the router or Is it posible to blame the POE ?

So am searching for some advices that can help me.

P.s sorry for my English I haven't used them for along time.

Thank you in advance John Vamvakaris.

fddc086eab72fe9c85edab0961b913b5.jpg

Στάλθηκε από το GT-N8013 μου χρησιμοποιώντας Tapatalk

Your description is a little tough to follow, but I'll take a shot.. :)

You show the router in House B as 192.168.2.2. I assume that is its WAN IP. What is the House B router's LAN IP address. And what are devices in House B getting for IP addresses (include IP, Gateway and DNS, please).

The house B only has a access point. The Wan port is not connected. I only use the moden-router in house A for ip. All the devices have an ip like 192.168.2.35, 192.168.2.45, and dns 255.255.255.0

bc333a09f075a9653dc16d9ebc7f3cef.jpg

Is the DHCP server disabled on the router that you are using as an AP?

When the network in house B goes down, can you plug an Ethernet device directly into the AP and does it work? You may have to set a STATIC IP on the device you use to check with.

Yes the DHCP is disabled. When the network is down and I plug a device I only can access the net if I use a static ip. My problem is why the router in house A disables the Lan. Is because it gives all the ip?

When I connect from house B with a ethernet cable when the network is down I can see the two antennas but I can't access the router in house A.

Last edited:
Yes the DHCP is disabled. When the network is down and I plug a device I only can access the net if I use a static ip. My problem is why the router in house A disables the Lan. Is because it gives all the ip?
You could check the DHCP table to in the router to get the answer to that question. What DHCP lease time is set?

When you say you change the routers from Thomson > TP-LINK > ZTE, is that the router in house A or the AP you are using in house B?

When I connect from house B with a ethernet cable when the network is down I can see the two antennas but I can't access the router in house A.
So you physically run a cable between the houses and plug it into the router in House A and you can ping / control both Ubiquiti bridges at 192.168.2.240 and .245.

But you can't reach the House A router 192.168.2.1. Can you reach the House B AP at 192.168.2.2? Can you reach any other devices in House A or B? If you can't reach them, what do they show for IP address?

Can you click on the network section on the left and send in a screenshot?

also, please show us if there is anything under advanced routing.

Well I didn't explain correct. I don't have the possibility to run a wire from house A to house B. If the Internet is up and running then all the networks work fine. Sense the router in house A gives all the ip's all works. When for some reason the router closes all the Lan ports then all the network stops working. I can use static ip's in the devices in house B to work with but I don't have Internet in the house B. I didn't make the network in house B subnet if this is the correct word because I won to see the Nas drive from house A.
When the Lan ports of the router in house A are closed then from house B I can connect to the access point with a static ip and I can also see the two antennas, but I can't access the router in house A.
218fc90cedbb78588bdd850e8a63a94a.jpg
2e3da69621426f2a0c4115b9d9d28abb.jpg
eafff1b65e25952efd11c2d2e9ffa406.jpg

From the information you provided, there is nothing wrong with the House A to B wireless bridge. The problem is your router in House A is locking up.

I'm not sure what is causing that, but I'm guessing it could be you are exhausting your DHCP pool. The Pool count is set to 253, but you have three static IP addresses (192.168.2.2, 192.168.2.240 and 192.168.2.245). If the DHCP server isn't smart, it could be assigning duplicate IP addresses and causing problems.

Adjust your DHCP server starting IP and pool size so you don't run into the static IPs you have set. Better yet, make IP reservations for those static IPs in case your router isn't smart enough to check whether an address is used before it assigns it.

The LAN DHCP server lease time is set for 30 days. I would also reduce that to 24 hours (8640 seconds), or a few days at most. This will ensure IP addresses get reused as devices come on and off the network.

Thank you very much. I will try your suggestions and hopefully I will have the network up and running.

Well I did fix all that. It worked OK for 5 hour but it started again the disconnections. Now is closed from 3 o'clock pm and is still down.

Well I did fix all that. It worked OK for 5 hour but it started again the disconnections. Now is closed from 3 o'clock pm and is still down.
The only other thing I can suggest is to shut down the wireless link from House A to B and see if the router in house A stays up.

Does the building B connection die during active use or after a period of no use ?

Are the lan ports on the main router "green ethernet" and perhaps going to sleep ? If there is a setting on the lan port page, can you disable it ?

What is the power budget required by the wireless extender ?
What is the injector providing ?
Is the building B extender using poe or is it connected to a wall plug ?
Can you connect the building A extender to a wall plug temporarily with an extension cord ?

Can you see other wireless radios operating on the same channel as the extenders ? Can you change the channel to one not used ?

Just a few ideas to look at.
Frank

The only other thing I can suggest is to shut down the wireless link from House A to B and see if the router in house A stays up.
The only thing working in house A now is the WiFi witch is work in all the time despite what happens to the Lan ports. Even when the network is down the WiFi works great.

Does the building B connection die during active use or after a period of no use ?

Are the lan ports on the main router "green ethernet" and perhaps going to sleep ? If there is a setting on the lan port page, can you disable it ?

What is the power budget required by the wireless extender ?
What is the injector providing ?
Is the building B extender using poe or is it connected to a wall plug ?
Can you connect the building A extender to a wall plug temporarily with an extension cord ?

Can you see other wireless radios operating on the same channel as the extenders ? Can you change the channel to one not used ?

Just a few ideas to look at.
Frank
There are some times that the network dies when am working. No there is no "green ethernet" option. The secondary antenna also work with a POE. I don't have a problem with the extenders. The extenders "antennas" work great at all time. Even wen the network is down with a static ip a can connect to all the devices exept the router in house A.

There are some times that the network dies when am working. No there is no "green ethernet" option. The secondary antenna also work with a POE. I don't have a problem with the extenders. The extenders "antennas" work great at all time. Even wen the network is down with a static ip a can connect to all the devices exept the router in house A.

Do i understand correctly that when the House A lan port locks up and you are using static IP on laptop in house B you can not get to the internet but you can see only the two extender devices ?

When it locks up -
Does the House A router Lan port still have two lights on (corresponding the correct speed 1000 Mbit or 100 Mb - check manual) ?
Or do either of the lights go out (Left Hand side or Right Hand Side or both ) ?

Or does the RHS light stop blinking (either single color or two colors) or stay constant ON ?

If so, then-
Try replacing the network cables one at a time with a known good cable - 1) between House A router lan port and its POE injector, 2) POE injector and wireless extender, 3) swap POE injector devices and see if issue follows location of injector.

Since you have swapped out several routers, unless there is a common configuration mistake, i think you are left with a downstream hardware issue to isolate.

I did check all the ip's. I don't see any problem. The router works for 2 days and is again down. I change the ip of the TV from .99 to .120 witch was the only problem that I could see. Now I don't have any other static ip under .100.

Now I will try to change the POE from house A to house B.

I really can't understand the reason for all that. Hopeful I will find it.

Again thank you all for the help