What's new

Problem with SIP and latest firmware on RT-AC66U (380.57)

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

zaxcom

Regular Contributor
I use a PAP2T adapter for my VOIP telephone. Since upgrading to the latest firmware I could not get the adapter to register with the SIP server. I went into the Passthrough settings and changed the ALG setting for SIP to ENABLE and the VoIP adapter came back on line. But this is opposite to how SIP worked before, I have always had that setting set to DISABLE and every tutorial says that is how you should set the SIP ALG.

As a test I downgraded back to 378.56_2 and the VoIP adapter worked correctly with the SIP ALG set to DISABLE. I then went back up to 380.57 and once again SIP failed with the ALG set to DISABLE, so I went back to ENABLE and the VoIP adapter came back online.

Is this a new change or a bug?

Thanks.

Today I tried a complete rest back to factory and the latest ASUS firmware, then flashed directly to 380.57 and I still have to set the ALG to ENABLE.

Does anyone else see this issue or have an idea as to why I am seeing these odd behavior?

Today I tried a complete rest back to factory and the latest ASUS firmware, then flashed directly to 380.57 and I still have to set the ALG to ENABLE.

Does anyone else see this issue or have an idea as to why I am seeing these odd behavior?

While the feature/functionality that is breaking on your 66U is a totally different section of the router than mine, and you are using a 66U vs the 68U I am using, the feature loss/disfunctional behavior itself is strikingly similar in both cases.

A core portion of your LAN is being rendered inoperative or radically changed through the normally simple act of upgrading to a new version of the firmware.

While we are all still waiting for ASUS to respond to the growing chorus of users who are seeing previously stable LAN setups go totally south after flashing this upgrade, I do have a theory.

Unlike the majority of these updates which are your typical incremental updates with a few tweaks here and there, this latest update is a major update that includes a brand new SDK and a brand new set of Wi-Fi drivers. I have no idea how long these new products have been in internal testing (perhaps RMerlin can shed some light?), but they both have only been out for public use since the 11th of December when ASUS published 3.0.0.4.380.1031.

Merlin's Alpha versions of what we now call Asuswrt-Merlin 380.57 HAD NONE of the 2.4 GHz wi-fi to internet problems I reported on my 68U rev. B1 until he incorporated the new SDK and Wi-Fi drivers included in the ASUS .1031 firmware package!

That was why I was so confident that this latest Merlin release would break my 2.4 wi-fi before even testing it for myself. The second I read that 380.57 was the Merlin variant of ASUS .1031, my 68U's fate was sealed! ;)

Lets just hope that whatever was let loose inside the SDK or the new wi-fi drivers reveals itself to the engineers without too much poking and prodding required.

In the meantime, I would suggest doing what all of us with the 68U wi-fi bug are doing, and flashing back to Merlin 378.56_2 until further notice.

Last edited:
I run an Elastix/Asterisk system behind my Asus RT-AC68U and can confirm that the 380.57 update breaks SIP registration behind NAT. I do not have ports forwarded for security purposes and use sip_nat.conf to specify my NAT settings. Reverting back to 378.56_2 immediately cured the problem without resetting to factory.

Note I have always had the SIP ALG set to off.

Hi, Zaxcom.. I have a Linksys PAP2T as well, and had registration issues as well, upon installing 380.57 onto my AC68U. After my Obi100 ATA (with staticy RJ11 port) also would not hold registration, I eventually gave up, disconnected the Asus and connected by older backup router.

Maybe this weekend I will try to turn on SIP ALG on the 68U to see PAP2T will then register. I thought I tried this to no avail, but should try again.

I gave up and went back to 378.56-2. Too many issues with no dial tone or one way audio. Working perfectly on the older firmware.

I had the exact same problem. RT-AC87U with Merlin 378.56_2 worked just fine. Pretty much rock solid. We use Onsip as our cloud based VOIP provider. I have a couple phones registered to VOIP.MS for testing and backup. All worked fine under 378.56_2.

Flashed the router to 380.57 and the Onsip phones lost ability to register with Onsip. I switched the SIP Passthrough option to "enable" which left the VOIP.ms phones able to register, but not make calls. The onsip phones worked sporadically.

After pulling my hair out for a couple hours, realized it was obviously a firmware problem and reflashed 378.56_2, put SIP Passthrough back to disable and all works as it is supposed to.