What's new

Problems with Nest Protect - Smoke Detectors connecting to my RT-AC87R

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

BlueiPhone

Occasional Visitor
I am having problems with Nest Protect - Smoke Detectors connecting to my RT-AC87R.
I have two of these devices smoke detectors & I see the problem on both devices.

When RT-AC68U_378.52_0 and RT-AC68U_378.52_2 came out I uploaded these and then started seeing connection problems. I did do a factory reset on the RT-AC87R, hoping this would fix the problem but NO...

I backed up to RT-AC68U_378.51_0, they both connect and work.

Today, I again tried with RT-AC68U_378.53_0 and I am still seeing this connection problem.

Here is what I see:
1. after I upload 52,52_2 or 53_0, I loose all connections to the Nest Protect - smoke detectors.
2. I cannot connect or configure to these devices.

I am guessing, the problem is in DHCP, I have the name for one of the devices as "Nest - Protect LR" and
I see it trying to connect and it shows the name as "Nest -1".

My Nest - Thermostat is connecting and works great, @ 51, 52 & 53.

Anyone else seeing this problem with the Nest Protect - Smoke Detectors?

Any suggestions? I have not called Nest Support.

I am again running RT-AC68U_378.51_0 without any problems, but I would like to update to the current version...

Thank you.

Can you change the name of the Nest devices so that they don't contain spaces? (I mean change it on the devices, not the router).

I have no control over the devices.. They default to using DHCP... Tks for the suggestion...

I turned off NAT Acceleration on the router and will reload 53 tomorrow morning... hoping this might help...

I reloaded 53 this morning and NAT Acceleration turned off, made no difference. I still cannot connect to the Nest Protect.
I will call Nest later today. I will let you know what I find out...

I am running 53...

Capture.PNG

I am currently running 53
I had not noticed this before but, I am seeing the Nest connected to the wired network not the Wireless. Anyone have any ideas???
I do not think this is a Nest problem....

This might be why it will not connect...

View attachment 3706
I am currently running 53
I had not noticed this before but, I am seeing the Nest connected to the wired network not the Wireless. Anyone have any ideas???
I do not think this is a Nest problem....
This might be why it will not connect...

You dont follow this advice, test it first.
Can you change the name of the Nest devices so that they don't contain spaces?
No space on all devices.
Do not use SAME name on multiple device.
Enable Manual Assignment, set that to NO.
IP.104 have different MAC-address and same ipnumber i dont se your wifi client status.
Some suggestions to start with.................. :oops:

I am having problems with Nest Protect - Smoke Detectors connecting to my RT-AC87R.
I have two of these devices smoke detectors & I see the problem on both devices.

To get my Nest devices to work consistently, I have to use 2.4HGz and set the router to 20/40MHz mode and "Auto" instead of "N only". They use the fancy deep power saving modes, so when they are in a deep sleep, the router shows them as wired in the network map. When they are active on the wireless network, they show as wireless.

Here is my 2.4 setup screen... Looks like I already have it setup as you suggest... It still will not connect.. The Nest Thermostat will connect and work, but not the Nest Protects. Tks for your suggestions...

Capture3.PNG

1. No more spaces in any DHCP name & no Duplicate names
2. Turned "Enable Manual Assignmnet" to No
3. Rebooted the RT-AC87...
.... Retryed the Nest connect .....

I still see Nest -1, this is NOT my name in DHCP
My name in the list is NestF

It failed again to connect with error P000(3.9)

I will call Nest and ask about this error code.

I will report back later today..

Tks for your help and suggestions....

Capture1.PNG

Capture2.PNG

I opened a case with Nest about this Nest Protect connect issue. He said I may take 3-5 days before I know more... We will see....

I will report back when I know more or If anyone has anything they would like me to try I am open...

I want to stay with 53...

Thank you....

Try to set fixed channel 1-6-11 and turn off B/G protection.
And what setting have you on professional tab?

Can you reboot the router...wait about 2-3 minutes, then post a cut/paste of the syslog? This way we will see if the problem is with seeing the wireless connection or with the DHCP process.

I will get the syslog tomorrow morning...
I will reboot the router.
the try the Next protect to connect.
and then post the log...

Great idea...

Try turning off 20/40 MHz mode and set the 2.4GHz radio to b/g/n mode - this will disable VHT20/40 mode that TurboQAM needs (and that few people can even use in 2.4GHz).

Give that a whack..

Try to set fixed channel 1-6-11 and turn off B/G protection.
And what setting have you on professional tab?
I have tried
Try turning off 20/40 MHz mode and set the 2.4GHz radio to b/g/n mode - this will disable VHT20/40 mode that TurboQAM needs (and that few people can even use in 2.4GHz).

Give that a whack..

I also set fixed channel 1, then 6, and 11 with B/G protection turned off.
No Luck with this..
1. Turned off the 20/40 MHz to 20 MHz the set wireless mode to "Legacy"... I tried connecting same error P000(3.9) on the Nest Protect
2. Turned off the 20/40 MHz to 40 MHz the set wireless mode to "Legacy"... I tried connecting same error P000(3.9) on the Nest Protect

Tks for the suggestion....

Last edited:
Here are the pro screens too...

CaptureP1.PNG

CaptureP2.PNG

Disable TurboQAM for the 2.4GHz radio - in your screen shot, it's still enabled

Are you sure the error is P000 and not P007? There is some discussion here (https://community.nest.com/message/45071#45071) about problems connecting to ASUS routers.

The solution in that case was to use dnsmasq to assign a fixed IP address and host name for the device.

In effect, you have probably already tried that (?) with the assignments you setup at "LAN > DHCP Server" and by setting "Enable Manual Assignment" to Yes (otherwise your assignments will be ignored).

This afternoon, I again tried to connect the Nest - Protects to my router running @ 378.53.

To my amazement both connected and are working great.

• I do have both Protects in my DHCP table
  • I have IPv6
    • Basic Config
      • Connection type - Disable
    • Auto Configuration Setting
      • Enable Router Advertisement - Disable
      • Enable DHCPv6 Server - Disable
  • I have for DHCP - Enable Manual Assignment is "Yes"
  • DNS Server 1 is 8.8.8.8
  • DNS Server 2 is 8.8.4.4
I will wait a few days and report back to see if the connections stay up and wall is really working...

I will keep my fingers crossed and report back next week...

Thank you to all that make suggestions...

I learned alot about the router...

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!