What's new

Problems with new RT-AX88U and Merlin RT-AX88U_384.18_0

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

armsAC3100

Regular Contributor
I was having problems with my RT-AC3100 after four years and decided to bite the bullet and purchase a new RT-AX88U. After unwrapping and plugging into modem I checked out the basics and then did a dirty update to ASUS ......9107 firmware. Ran the router for a few hours checking out everything that I could and all was well.
Next step was to install Merlin RT-AX88U_384.18.0. I then proceeded to follow the steps to do a M&M recommended reset / configuration. All was well for a while and the 5Ghz WiFi stopped allowing connections. After spending a fair amount of time I could find nothing that would bring back 5GHz. Radio was still working but would not take connections. Doing a power off / on reset would bring it back for a while before failing again. Everything was basic install. No VPN, No Scripts, No Trend AI Protection, No USB disks.
My next step was to do a dirty install of Asus .....9107 firmware. Router has been working normally for three + hours.
I am plan to wait a day or so to make sure that everything is working before a second attempt at installing Merlin 384.18 with a fresh download.
I see a lot of people who are running the same hardware / firmware so hopefully it was a fluke and all will be well the next time!

I'm running an RT-AX88U and have been on a number of Asus and Merlin firmware versions. My advice would be to try a couple of things:
  1. Follow the Asus FAQ information to turn off AX functionality https://www.asus.com/me-en/support/FAQ/1042475 unless you need it
  2. Turn off Smart Connect
My experience is that the WiFi drivers are still a little buggy for the RT-AX88U since Asus included a new Broadcom release a few versions back. The stock 384_9107 firmware is better (but not perfect), however AsusWRT_Merlin version 384.18 is based on earlier GPL and binary blobs. 384.19 will be the first based on 384_9107 (or later) code.

On an early alpha version of 384.19 I am using Smart Connect but it I'm still not convinced it's working perfectly as the alpha is very new. I wouldn't recommend you using the alpha unless you are an advanced user.

I'm running an RT-AX88U and have been on a number of Asus and Merlin firmware versions. My advice would be to try a couple of things:
  1. Follow the Asus FAQ information to turn off AX functionality https://www.asus.com/me-en/support/FAQ/1042475 unless you need it
  2. Turn off Smart Connect
My experience is that the WiFi drivers are still a little buggy for the RT-AX88U since Asus included a new Broadcom release a few versions back. The stock 384_9107 firmware is better (but not perfect), however AsusWRT_Merlin version 384.18 is based on earlier GPL and binary blobs. 384.19 will be the first based on 384_9107 (or later) code.

On an early alpha version of 384.19 I am using Smart Connect but it I'm still not convinced it's working perfectly as the alpha is very new. I wouldn't recommend you using the alpha unless you are an advanced user.

I don't use Smart Connect and I had both updated my Intel Drivers and turned off AX Functionality with no help. I thought that I may investigate Asus Mesh with my old AC3100. Right now my coverage is good from the main router. I do have an old RT-N56U as an access point to cover my backyard Security camera and one TV/ROKU that is a long way from the main router. I had Ethernet, along with RG6 run around the house when we had it built last year. Makes it easy.

I did look at the Alpha 384.19 and other than the added support for Static Routes for PPTP/L2TP VPN it looks like everything else is Asus updates. I do use VPN, but it's the OpenVPN Server function to access home network when travelling. I have installed Nord VPN clients on my AC3100 in the past but don't have much use for them. If/when I need VPN I use it from my computer.
I have not yet tried them on the RT-AX88U yet. I thought it best to get basics running first!

Thanks for your help.
Regards, Al

I don't use Smart Connect and I had both updated my Intel Drivers and turned off AX Functionality with no help. I thought that I may investigate Asus Mesh with my old AC3100. Right now my coverage is good from the main router. I do have an old RT-N56U as an access point to cover my backyard Security camera and one TV/ROKU that is a long way from the main router. I had Ethernet, along with RG6 run around the house when we had it built last year. Makes it easy.

I did look at the Alpha 384.19 and other than the added support for Static Routes for PPTP/L2TP VPN it looks like everything else is Asus updates. I do use VPN, but it's the OpenVPN Server function to access home network when travelling. I have installed Nord VPN clients on my AC3100 in the past but don't have much use for them. If/when I need VPN I use it from my computer.
I have not yet tried them on the RT-AX88U yet. I thought it best to get basics running first!

Thanks for your help.
Regards, Al
OK so not smart connect related then. That's my idea squashed.

Yes, most of the updates so far in 384.19 alpha 1 are to move to newer GPL, however I found that 384_9107 was significantly better as a stock firmware so made the jump to the alpha. So far, other than a slightly rocky experience accessing the gui immediately after upgrade, it's been rock solid.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!