What's new

Product-review: Ubiquiti EdgeRouter Lite

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Right, now what realistic scenario would require something like that?
You say private render farms . . . that's medium to enterprise level businesses.
Real time simulations? How would that help compared to just running the simulation on the server vs wasting bandwidth sending the raw gpu data instead of the completed portion of the sim?
Would make space for realistic games.

But private render farms and compilation clusters are something that people do. They arent exactly business related.

Would make space for realistic games.

But private render farms and compilation clusters are something that people do. They arent exactly business related.

Activity like this is generally on a LAN basis, so one can always break that out on a dedicated switch/lan/vlan...

Don't say never. I have heard it many times in the past. The switch from 10 meg to 100meg, "You never will need the kind of speed for home use". I heard it when we switched from 100 meg to 1 Gig, "You never will be able to use that much speed at home". Here we are. It is time to start looking at 10 gig. I know ...we will never need that fast of a port at home. You can now buy multiple internet pipes for home which are faster than a 1 Gig pipe router can deliver. We now need faster routers for home use. They may be expensive at first but the price will come down as always. It was that way on all the other switch outs.
I didn't say never - who knows we may even be working on it. ;-)

I didn't say never - who knows we may even be working on it. ;-)
Oh stig . . .
Thou art such a tease!
I'm still waiting for a version of the ES24-lite with SFP+ ports like the ES48-lite.
That, and the ER8-carrier.
And an 10gbe aggregation switch with combo rj45/SFP+ ports.
Heck why not the world first 10gbe RJ45 SFP+ module while you are at it?

Oh stig . . .
Thou art such a tease!
I'm still waiting for a version of the ES24-lite with SFP+ ports like the ES48-lite.
That, and the ER8-carrier.
And an 10gbe aggregation switch with combo rj45/SFP+ ports.
Heck why not the world first 10gbe RJ45 SFP+ module while you are at it?
10Gbe SFP+ already exists but SFP+ to SFP+ direct is the cheapest.

The dual core 64 bit MIPS that Ubiquiti uses cannot handle a 10Gb/s NAT connection. 2Gb/s maybe but not 10. Ofcourse they could use the 8 core variant from the same company which would give them 8Gb/s of NAT but its still far from enough to saturate a full 10Gb/s link. The "wirespeed" that Ubiquiti claims is with layer 3 or layer 2 routing/bridging which is what almost any router does without a switch chip.

Many people who buy Ubiquiti stuff dont use the edgerouters like what customers for mikrotik do.

In other words Ubiquiti doesnt really have a performance advantage, they just have better stock firmware than consumer routers. With consumer routers 3rd party firmware has the features but loses the performance of stock firmware.

nvidia shield works by having the GPU do video encoding and sending it to the nvidia shield which is an ARM based thing that can decode 1080p media. So it only needs 16Mb/s of bandwidth.

But with 10Gb/s internet you could have multiple GPUs from around the network rendering for you (as have been done since core2quad times for private render farms). Besides rendering distributed computing and real time simulation also benefits from that. For the house it means you can run real time simulations and do number crunching.

Relating to rendering, refer to the eGPU guide that is currently on another forum in which it explains the amount of bandwidth needed to have for a GPU connected externally to game using the laptop monitor. 4 PCIe lanes are needed for 60 fps.

So, how many households hope to become their own little private Industrial Light and Magic?
Or simulate quantum mechanics?

And how many of these theoretical households have the CPU and GPU power to do that, let alone the network bandwidth?

Once again, you're projecting your wants, not your needs. And I'm thinking, if you have the kind of talent to do either of the above, there is some university with equipment whose lab/program would love to have you as a fellow.

So, how many households hope to become their own little private Industrial Light and Magic?
Or simulate quantum mechanics?

And how many of these theoretical households have the CPU and GPU power to do that, let alone the network bandwidth?

Once again, you're projecting your wants, not your needs. And I'm thinking, if you have the kind of talent to do either of the above, there is some university with equipment whose lab/program would love to have you as a fellow.
I have, the university doesnt exactly let you use their cluster unless you're a postgraduate with a compelling enough reason to use it.

Mikrotik has also recently released the CCR1072 with 8 SFP+ slots. Since each CCR core will do 2Gb/s of NAT that already will do wirespeed NAT although it costs $2K and has 16GB of ECC ram.

Last edited:
Uploading config.boot now works smoothly?

The SNB article How To Configure Your Ubiquiti EdgeRouter Lite includes a lot of details about uploading your EdgeRouter configuration. The article says you have to zip up your config.boot file in a specific directory structure that matches the one on the router.

On my EdgeRouter PoE (the 5-port version), I can upload a single plain text, unzipped config.boot in the web UI, and it loads with no issue. I previously upgraded the firmware to v1.3.0. I'm not sure if that helped, but I think they've solved that problem.

EdgeRouter Docs Still Need Improvement
I really appreciated that "How to Configure ..." article. Like Tim, I found it difficult to navigate the Ubiquiti docs and forums to locate some basic configurations.

The EdgeMAX Wiki is a good start, but it needs more examples. The forum thread Basic SOHO/Home Config contains a ton of info, with people trading configurations back and forth like baseball cards. :)

I love products based on open source, but this is a *product*, and Ubiquiti would sell a lot more with a little work on their docs. I just signed up for an account so I can add to their wiki. I'll see if I can contribute something useful.

Thanks,
John

I know this is an old thread, but this was an extremely helpful one, that I decided to reply.
I just bought an Edgerouter lite. Just needed better router for my internet front, but did not wanted to use too much power with a PC.

It came with firmware 1.9.7 out of the box and using the guide, I manged to do initial setup. I have to say that these scripts were very helpful.
Next, I upgraded to 1.10.10 firmware, updated the boot loader and finalized setting up some services from the GUI.

Thanks a lot for keeping this information handy and useful for newbies like me.

Sent from my Moto Z3 Play using Tapatalk

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!