What's new

Proper way to shutdown RT-AC5300

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

xaero

New Around Here
Hello guys!

I have an RT-AC5300 running latest Merlin firmware. I just got it a few Days ago, configured Everything and I love it. How ever, I can't seem to find a proper way to shutdown the router, I only find a "reboot" button in the GUI, and the "shutdown -h now" command in Shell does not work because there's no such script/program. What is the proper way to shutdown the router?

Turn the power off. If you have a USB storage device attached, unmount it in the web UI beforehand.

If it makes you feel better you can issue a halt command from the command line before powering off. But this is not a PC, it's a network appliance.

Turn the power off. If you have a USB storage device attached, unmount it in the web UI beforehand.

If it makes you feel better you can issue a halt command from the command line before powering off. But this is not a PC, it's a network appliance.

Reviving an older thread - and yes Colin ... I do understand that my AC5300 is a network appliance - however with a USB attached it is also much more than simply that - so having the ability to do a "graceful" shutdown would be a bonus and prevent corrupted drive / media databases etc.

Now - if the web UI unmount actually worked for me - I'd be a happy camper ... but as a noob with the add-ons in my signature - it fails to successfully umount despite my best efforts.

I notice that a web UI "Reboot" succeeds in gracefully umouting the USB - because no errors show up for the USB using amtm supplied disk check. Clearly it does more than the web UI unmount to successfully close all "aps" that might be accessing the USB. However, powering off the router after the web UI failed unmount always results in errors on the USB drive.

I am hoping that the experienced folk in the community can give me some pointers? Does the web UI unmount simply invoke the umount script - and if so what additional lines should be added to that script to achieve a successful unmount give the services I am currently running??

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!