What's new

Proposed Moca setup

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

nagle3092

So I am thinking about giving moca a shot with the release of the new ECB6200 that actiontec released.

Below is a quick mock up of what the network would look like. I just wanted to get any feedback as to if this should work. Seems like everything would be fine but I just wanted to double check before purchasing. The 4 way and 2 way splitters would be replaced with Holland Electronics moca splitters. My only real concern would be the pct amp but I cannot see why it would cause issues.

lSWk4aI.png

The amplifier should not cause problems. But the nested 2 way splitter will reduce signal and possibly reduce throughput.

The amplifier should not cause problems. But the nested 2 way splitter will reduce signal and possibly reduce throughput.

Thanks Tim, I figured there would be some loss as its inherent when splitting. Though I'm sure this will work better than wireless bridging that I am currently doing. I will get some ordered and check it out. Thanks again.

Do you think splitting the line after the moca adapter would be a better idea? Since it runs at a higher frequency I dont see why it would interfere with the modem. I will test each configuration when they come in.

Last edited:
This is quite an extensive MoCA setup and please report back your results! Love to see them.

I ordered one set for now, I just want to see how well everything works before jumping on another set. If it works well I will most likely order another set and complete the 3rd and 4th legs.

So far results have been great. I am not experiencing any slow down issues that were reported in the review. Though I did update the firmware right out of the box. Transferring down from my Nas/Router location its a solid 110-113MB/s when transferring up from one of the pc's to the nas it fluctuates between 60MB/s up to 110MB/s. I am just waiting for another seller to get them in stock on Amazon before I order another set. I got mine for $185 from Gizmosforlife on amazon.

Awsome that you are having good results. I've had a my 6200's set up for a month now and am only getting 11 MB/s throughput, so I am troubleshooting right now.

Is your cable service for both TV and internet, then?

Is there any reason why you wouldn't place the first MOCA adapter before the 4-way splitter, along with your router and the cable modem receiving the cable feed directly, terminate the pass-through on that 6200, and then send the output of the 6200 to the 4-way splitter? This way, no splitter would be needed in Room 1, and maybe no amp would be needed either, then. You would have to buy another 6200 for Room 1 and if necessary add a gigabit switch there, too. The total cost of the setup would be higher, but the networking speeds would likely be greater, too.

Last edited:
Awsome that you are having good results. I've had a my 6200's set up for a month now and am only getting 11 MB/s throughput, so I am troubleshooting right now.

Is your cable service for both TV and internet, then?

Is there any reason why you wouldn't place the first MOCA adapter before the 4-way splitter, along with your router and the cable modem receiving the cable feed directly, terminate the pass-through on that 6200, and then send the output of the 6200 to the 4-way splitter? This way, no splitter would be needed in Room 1, and maybe no amp would be needed either, then. You would have to buy another 6200 for Room 1 and if necessary add a gigabit switch there, too. The total cost of the setup would be higher, but the networking speeds would likely be greater, too.

I actually just got the other pair in yesterday (took over a month since I placed the order from amazon) and so far speed are good both ways, though the rooms download is higher than their upload. The one room I just placed a 6200 in was getting 112MB down and upload was fluctuating between 40MB-100MB.

My setup has changed as I decided to get rid of cable shortly after my original post. So right now my coax runs are just for Moca and internet. I installed an antenna in the attic but that has its own run only to the living room.

I have yet to experience any speed drops with my original pair, I will keep an eye out to see if anything changes with this pair.

By chance are you using a moca filter and moca approved splitter for where your cable comes in?

Last edited:
I've had a network using 2500's for a little over 2 years now. Speeds of 11.2 MB/s. I've loved the setup, but longed for more speed in the network. In October when I saw that B&H carried the 6200's I ordered them; however, demand seemed to exceed supply because it took a few weeks for B&H to get them in stock. Upon receipt I simply replaced all of the 2500's with these, but didn't see any change in the network speeds. Like you, my Moca setup is just for internet and networking -- it looks similar to the setup you just described, with a 4-way splitter in the attic along with an amp. My initial Moca is in a room with the modem and router. One difference is that instead of OTA TV I have DirecTV coming in with a separate cable into the living room. That uses a DECA setup linking one of the bedrooms. This DECA is bridged with the MOCA at a gigabit switch in the living room.

I do have a filter at the POE. I'm not positive about the splitter tho, but I think it is a Holland splitter that is MOCA rated. It is in the attic, and I haven't looked at that, yet. I'll check that out this weekend. I could move the router, modem, and add another 6200 into the attic, before the splitter to see if that helps. I doubt that it will, but it will be interesting to see what that does...

I've had a network using 2500's for a little over 2 years now. Speeds of 11.2 MB/s. I've loved the setup, but longed for more speed in the network. In October when I saw that B&H carried the 6200's I ordered them; however, demand seemed to exceed supply because it took a few weeks for B&H to get them in stock. Upon receipt I simply replaced all of the 2500's with these, but didn't see any change in the network speeds. Like you, my Moca setup is just for internet and networking -- it looks similar to the setup you just described, with a 4-way splitter in the attic along with an amp. My initial Moca is in a room with the modem and router. One difference is that instead of OTA TV I have DirecTV coming in with a separate cable into the living room. That uses a DECA setup linking one of the bedrooms. This DECA is bridged with the MOCA at a gigabit switch in the living room.

I do have a filter at the POE. I'm not positive about the splitter tho, but I think it is a Holland splitter that is MOCA rated. It is in the attic, and I haven't looked at that, yet. I'll check that out this weekend. I could move the router, modem, and add another 6200 into the attic, before the splitter to see if that helps. I doubt that it will, but it will be interesting to see what that does...

Have you tried removing the direct tv boxes from the network, rebooting the moca adaptors and seeing if anything changes? I thought moca and direct tv devices didnt play nice together.

Have you tried removing the direct tv boxes from the network, rebooting the moca adaptors and seeing if anything changes? I thought moca and direct tv devices didnt play nice together.

I'll give that a try, but I'm not optimistic since the DECA and the MOCA are bridged via an ethernet switch, and aren't on the same coax cable setup.

The MoCA boxes I have (old D-Link) don't auto-scan to detect and move to other frequencies due to satellite TV signals up above cable TV.
But you can config the boxes to use a specific non-conflicting frequency range. I don't have satellite TV service.

I wonder how cable TV "whole house" DVRs cope - they use MoCA as well.

My old boxes deliver 70Mbps (bits, not Bytes), net yield at the IP layer, and that's more than adequate in the role of substituting for a 100BT ethernet cable that isn't.

I'll give that a try, but I'm not optimistic since the DECA and the MOCA are bridged via an ethernet switch, and aren't on the same coax cable setup.

Ah ok, I thought they used coax to link together. My guess is there would be no change either if its through ethernet. My guess then would be cables and splitters.

Last edited:
Ah ok, I thought they used coax to link together. My guess is there would be no change either if its through ethernet. My guess then would be cables and splitters.

Yep, I think you got it right. I just checked the 4-way splitter I am using and it is a Holland GHPNA-4 broadband splitter. It is a well made device, but it only has a frequency response of 5-1500 MHz. I note that other postings on SNB forums say I should get a splitter with 2 GHz FR.

I was looking for a replacement splitter on Amazon -- one that advertises itself as MOCA 2 compatible. One such device is the Holland GHS-4Pro-M, but it only has a frequency response of 5-1675 MHz, so that doesn't seem to meet the FR requirement. There are other 4-way splitters on Amazon that do have a 2 GHz FR, so I could try one of those.

Actually, you've had excellent results with your setup. Would you please tell me the model number of your splitter? I'll look for that one... :)

Last edited:
I'm actually using the GHS-4Pro-M listed here http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00OTOEIGK/?tag=snbforums-20

I was thinking of getting a splitter that has a wider range and testing it out but haven't gotten around to it. Not sure if it would make a difference since the D-band stops at 1675MHz. I dont know if it would take advantage of that extra 500MHz.

This is the listed spec on the ECB6200.

Coax In Frequency Range - Extended D-band: 1125MHz ~ 1675MHz; Full Port Range: 5MHz ~ 2150MHz

OK, good to know that one works -- I ordered that one as well as a CableMatters splitter with 5-2450 MHz FR. It seems to have a slightly higher signal loss, tho - 8 dB vs the 7.7 dB for the Holland. We'll see how it does.

OK, good to know that one works -- I ordered that one as well as a CableMatters splitter with 5-2450 MHz FR. It seems to have a slightly higher signal loss, tho - 8 dB vs the 7.7 dB for the Holland. We'll see how it does.

Any update?

Well, this morning I tried both the wide range (5-2450 MHz) and the GHS-4Pro-M splitters, but haven't seen any change in speed on this leg. However, I went to a third computer and the speeds are about 40 MB/s, so that is good to see. All computers go through the splitter in the attic so clearly something else is slowing this leg down -- it may be the cabling. If it is the cabling then I'm pretty much going to have to be satisfied with what I have. Only thing I can do to squeeze out speed would be to move the router and modem to the attic.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!