What's new

Protected Management Frames

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

mirage22

Regular Contributor
Hi,

When i enable Protected Management Frames on each of the bands i am unable to connect to WiFi. My PC keeps asking for the WiFi key and then rejects it.

I did a bit of googling and found out that PMF was created to prevent mis-association attacks and de-auth attacks. But there is very little information around this.

Does anyone have a clue on PMF and how to enable it correctly?

Alternatively, how do i defend my WiFi from being jammed or from rogue APs or one of the attacks mentioned above? The reason for asking this is that I live right next to a Hotel that does not provide WiFi and I suspect some smart people at some point in time will try to see if they can penetrate my WiFi and use it.

PMF is dependent on the client - most clients don't do this.. It's an OS and Driver level issue..

Most Consumer Clients depend on management frames being public, at least for initial association...

Sometimes AP's are ahead of the game - in any event, AP's play the song, and the clients have to dance..

sfx

Alternatively, how do i defend my WiFi from being jammed or from rogue APs or one of the attacks mentioned above? The reason for asking this is that I live right next to a Hotel that does not provide WiFi and I suspect some smart people at some point in time will try to see if they can penetrate my WiFi and use it.

Two options...

1) Run decent security - the hotel clients might bang your AP to associate, but it will reject them...

2) More lucrative - Get a fon AP, and make it work - and then you'll get paid, if not in money, perhaps in access - it will impact your overall bandwidth, but perhaps it might work...

sfx