What's new

Proxy server vs. Default route

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

kevindd992002

Regular Contributor
If my proxy server is different from my default gateway (two different devices with two different private IP's located in the same subnet) and all my internal Windows computers are set to use the proxy server listening at port 3128, what kind of packets will flow through the proxy server and what kind of packets will use the default route?

all that will be seen by the gateway is traffic from the proxy server and traffic that cannot use a proxy. Not everything is compatible with a proxy. I use a proxy server to get around my ISP's NAT detection and it doesnt work with a number of things. For example steam and some games cannot use a proxy server as they are not compatible even if you use tunneling. ICMP as another example as well.

That's what I thought. So technically, even though I remove the default gateway IP address setting in my computer's NIC (assuming I don't use DHCP), HTTP/HTTPS browsing will still work if the proxy server is set, correct?