What's new

Purchased my first router - looking for guidance.

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Cheevyboy

New Around Here
Hey all!

Apologies if this is too broad so please let me know and I'll continue on digging down the google/YouTube routes otherwise.

Quick Background - Forever we were stuck with our IP's routers that were just dog shirte. Did some research and landed on the AX86U. A poster on reddit sent me here although it all seems a bit overwhelming.

My technological background leaves something to be desired so when I heard I need to upload a custom firmware to my router my head all but did a 360.

I guess I'm looking for some general guidance on what I need to know and do to get the most out of my router.

Thanking yall in advance.

Cheers :)

I suggest that you just set it up as normal following the instructions in the manual.

Look at the various options available in the router's web interface (e.g. AiProtection, QoS, guest WiFi networks, Media Server, etc.) and see if any of them are of interest to you.

Run with a fairly basic setup for a couple of weeks to make sure the unit isn't faulty and performs as you expect it to. You don't "need" to install a custom firmware, but you might choose to if you find there's something lacking with the standard firmware.

Hey all!

Apologies if this is too broad so please let me know and I'll continue on digging down the google/YouTube routes otherwise.

Quick Background - Forever we were stuck with our IP's routers that were just dog shirte. Did some research and landed on the AX86U. A poster on reddit sent me here although it all seems a bit overwhelming.

My technological background leaves something to be desired so when I heard I need to upload a custom firmware to my router my head all but did a 360.

I guess I'm looking for some general guidance on what I need to know and do to get the most out of my router.

My install notes may suggest some basic settings. You'll have to adjust for the AX bits.

The latest Asuswrt firmware: RT-AX86U|WiFi 6|ASUS Global

Browse to router.asus.com and log into the router webUI (minimal Quick Setup configuration to get in), upload the latest firmware, Restore w/Initialize to reset the firmware to its factory defaults, and then configure the router.

1610752069211.png

Alternatively, just use the reset button but it does not do the Initialize bits.

Use a simple configuration for awhile until you become familiar with your clients on your new network.

OE

1 week first

1) use default wifi setting (avoid to use WPA3 only first)
2) dont enable anything which need to accept Trend Micro terms to make sure you run stock.

later

1) try enable anything that need to accept Trend Micro terms and monitor the cpu or ram usage and even the ping to which games or server that you used to.
2) if ping become higher, disable or withdraw the terms at Administration -> Privacy
3)if wireless feels not stable at default, can try disable universal beamforming (mostly old devices)

I suggest that you just set it up as normal following the instructions in the manual.

Look at the various options available in the router's web interface (e.g. AiProtection, QoS, guest WiFi networks, Media Server, etc.) and see if any of them are of interest to you.

Run with a fairly basic setup for a couple of weeks to make sure the unit isn't faulty and performs as you expect it to. You don't "need" to install a custom firmware, but you might choose to if you find there's something lacking with the standard firmware.

Hey! Sound advice thank you :)

I've had it running for a few days now but haven't had a chance to look under the hood.

Appreciate your guidance!

My install notes may suggest some basic settings. You'll have to adjust for the AX bits.

The latest Asuswrt firmware: RT-AX86U|WiFi 6|ASUS Global

Browse to router.asus.com and log into the router webUI (minimal Quick Setup configuration to get in), upload the latest firmware, Restore w/Initialize to reset the firmware to its factory defaults, and then configure the router.

View attachment 29571

Alternatively, just use the reset button but it does not do the Initialize bits.

Use a simple configuration for awhile until you become familiar with your clients on your new network.

OE

Hey thanks for this!

Unfortunately I'm not network literate enough to make sense of most of it but I'll spend some time over the weekend diving into the unknown.

Appreciate your time :)

1 week first

1) use default wifi setting (avoid to use WPA3 only first)
2) dont enable anything which need to accept Trend Micro terms to make sure you run stock.

later

1) try enable anything that need to accept Trend Micro terms and monitor the cpu or ram usage and even the ping to which games or server that you used to.
2) if ping become higher, disable or withdraw the terms at Administration -> Privacy
3)if wireless feels not stable at default, can try disable universal beamforming (mostly old devices)

Heya! Yup been a few days now with the rig active. Thank goodness no drops in WiFi, feels odd having something reliable.

I'm not sure I understand the second part of your message sorry - where and how do I enable the Trend Micro terms and what are they? Apologies for the ignorance.

I'm not sure I understand the second part of your message sorry - where and how do I enable the Trend Micro terms and what are they? Apologies for the ignorance.
Certain features like AiProtection, Traffic Analyzer and Adaptive QoS use a deep packet inspection engine licensed from Trend Micro. When you enable any of those features for the first time a window will pop up asking you to accept the Trend Micro terms and conditions.

Some people have experienced stability problems thought to be caused by enabling those features. Other people do not have any problems. If you have already enabled Trend Micro features you can disable them by going to Advanced Settings > Administration > Privacy and choosing Withdraw.

Hey thanks for this!

Unfortunately I'm not network literate enough to make sense of most of it but I'll spend some time over the weekend diving into the unknown.

Appreciate your time :)

Understood. Those notes (not a tutorial) become more helpful as you dive in and become familiar with your router and begin to look for answers. They are not many non-defaults settings to consider, so it's manageable. The hardest part for us users is writing it down... so that's done already... more or less.

OE

Hey all!

For what it's worth, you bought the right router :) love mine.

Heya! Yup been a few days now with the rig active. Thank goodness no drops in WiFi, feels odd having something reliable.

How’s it going on your AX86U setup? I just got one as well and wondering how you evolved your understanding over this year so far.

Reliability, it's one of those things about the AX86U that you will have to get used to. You never quite do get used to it as you wait for something to happen like all those other wireless routers you ever owned but it never does. Once you get it set up the way you want it just seems to work.

There is even a firmware auto update setting under the Administration > Firmware Upgrade tab so you don't even need to bother to log in now and then to update that.

Last edited:
I had a question about the Traffic Monitor on the AX86U. Is that only available if you accept the Trend Micro terms and conditions, even with the custom firmware?

I read somewhere on ComputerWorld that the privacy policy states that traffic data and e-mails with personally identifiable information can be sent to Trend Micro as a result of using these features: https://www.computerworld.com/article/3194843/asus-router-warnings-on-privacy-and-security.html

I'd like to avoid having to agree with that privacy policy in order to use the traffic monitoring features, which seem really nice.