What's new

Push LAN to clients missing?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

scuro

New Around Here
Hello,

Just playing with VPN site to site between two routers. I actually have the VPN working and routing but it is via the client-to-client method which makes it difficult to track down individual computers with my pihole.

I currently have a shared pihole server for DNS and I successfully have DNS queries being served over the VPN to a families network. However since it is in client-to-client mode, the traffic is all being routed through the tunnel and not fully over the network. Thus, all computer clients from the remote side have the same IP.

This is the basics of the network:

OpenVPN server LAN: 192.168.3.0/24
OpenVPN client LAN: 192.168.1.0/24
OpenVPN tunnel LAN: 192.168.10.0/24

I figure it just simply needs the route to be pushed. However all the guides I find for asus merlin just say to select "Push LAN to clients". I checked, and this option is missing from my RT-AC3200.
I am on the latest firmware. Was this removed? How do I set up the routes manually?
vpn.PNG

Much appreciated.

I found this in the changelog

Removed "Push LAN" and "Redirect Gateway",
replaced with new Client Access setting

How do I do actual routing then? It's working but I can see the traffic is just getting tunneled through the vpn interface (192.168.10.2). I can't actually track the DNS requests by original IP for the remote vpn network.

I believe I figured out what is causing it.

The asus client is creating a NAT connection on tunnel but has no option to disable. The asus router that is running the client openvpn does not have asus-merlin support. I'll have to try a different vpn client on that end.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!