What's new

Qnap 231p2 vs synology 218play

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

AlexHaden

Occasional Visitor
evening all

Been away from the NAS scence since dabbling with an LG nas a few years back, so looking to start again, small(ish) 2 bay NAS

Use is really only file storage, music shares for sonos, and streaming my movie collection to various devices, not too worried about transcoding, as I tend to store my films in something most of my devices can play.

Need to be able to sync with one drive, not too worried about resilience/redundancy, I’ll also be backing up to a separate DAS I have on my PC.

Kind of bouncing between the qnap and synology here, about to pull the trigger on the qnap as i can expand in the future with its addons, plus I can upgrade the ram if I need to, so feels more flexible.

The synology 218play, has a 64 bit processor, that’s a bit slower - so that’s made me think, is it that much better?

The 218 can allegedly transcode 4K, and while I won’t use it, it’s a nice to have for the same price as the qnap 231p2

I’m useless at deciding, can anyone tip me one way or the other?

Or save up another 100£ and get the

QNAP TS-251B-2G?

evening all

Been away from the NAS scence since dabbling with an LG nas a few years back, so looking to start again, small(ish) 2 bay NAS

Use is really only file storage, music shares for sonos, and streaming my movie collection to various devices, not too worried about transcoding, as I tend to store my films in something most of my devices can play.

Need to be able to sync with one drive, not too worried about resilience/redundancy, I’ll also be backing up to a separate DAS I have on my PC.

Kind of bouncing between the qnap and synology here, about to pull the trigger on the qnap as i can expand in the future with its addons, plus I can upgrade the ram if I need to, so feels more flexible.

The synology 218play, has a 64 bit processor, that’s a bit slower - so that’s made me think, is it that much better?

The 218 can allegedly transcode 4K, and while I won’t use it, it’s a nice to have for the same price as the qnap 231p2

I’m useless at deciding, can anyone tip me one way or the other?

Between the two choices, I would stick with my preferred QNAP. :) Even when it comes at a price disadvantage like it does here (from the prices I'm seeing locally).

I would normally recommend a 3 bay or more configuration but in this case, this QNAP with an 8GB RAM stick and the quad-core 1.7GHz CPU combination will be noticeably more responsive than the Synology which seems limited to 1GB RAM, even with a 64bit processor.

So, did you order your QNAP and RAM yet? :)

Lol, yes...the expandability sold it

Just ordered the 231p2.

Figure if I don’t need to spend another £100 on the 251, that’s a new iron wolf for my new Nas

Both are good choices - really comes down to user preference with the WebUI...

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!