What's new

QNAP NAS backup to Synology NAS

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Taino718

Occasional Visitor
Hi, have had a Synology DS213J for a while but currently Windows 10 causing problems with file explorer. NAS does not show up in network list. Probable problem is SMB as per comments at Synology website. I am looking for a similar NAS 2 drives. Planning on keeping Synology as a backup for QNAP. Purchasing a QNAP similar specs soon.
I would appreciate some recommendations on which QNAP to purchase to replace Synology DS213J.

Many thanks for your comments and suggestions.

Can't speak for Synology, as I'm a QNAP user, but the issues with Windows 10 have little to do with the NAS, and much to do with Windows...

Hi, have had a Synology DS213J for a while but currently Windows 10 causing problems with file explorer. NAS does not show up in network list. Probable problem is SMB as per comments at Synology website. I am looking for a similar NAS 2 drives. Planning on keeping Synology as a backup for QNAP. Purchasing a QNAP similar specs soon.
I would appreciate some recommendations on which QNAP to purchase to replace Synology DS213J.

Can't speak for Synology, as I'm a QNAP user, but the issues with Windows 10 have little to do with the NAS, and much to do with Windows...
I don't have any issues running W10 with Syno. NAS

rSync or simply have share on the Synology and let the QNAP backup tools store to that. Simplest.

The DSxxxJ models of Synology are the slower/cheaper products (the j suffix). QNAP and Synology are in a perpetual horse race. Both are great. My aging DS212 w/2 x 3TB in non-RAID, just runs. I've not decided when/if I will move from their DSM 5.2 to DSM 6. I tend to wait 6 months on new release software from most any vendor.

rSync or simply have share on the Synology and let the QNAP backup tools store to that. Simplest.

The DSxxxJ models of Synology are the slower/cheaper products (the j suffix). QNAP and Synology are in a perpetual horse race. Both are great. My aging DS212 w/2 x 3TB in non-RAID, just runs. I've not decided when/if I will move from their DSM 5.2 to DSM 6. I tend to wait 6 months on new release software from most any vendor.

Hi, thanks for the reply. Are saying that the DS213J can rsync to the QNAP without any problems?

I don't have any issues running W10 with Syno. NAS

Hi, how did you mange to get Windows 10 to display your synology NAS using file explorer under network? What did you do that is different from other post that indicate Window 10 has difficulty displaying network drives? Your help can others solve this problem. Please share!

I use win 10 with synology NAS and other networed PCs. Just set Workgroup name (if not the default). It just works. You have to tell windows 7/10 a login/password for the NAS, but that's not unique to win 10.

My desktop, laptop, Synology, RPi and lots of other LAN goodies coexist and swap data just fine.