What's new

QNAP - TimeMachine and QTS experience

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

sfx2000

Part of the Furniture
Sharing some quick thoughts on QNAP's TimeMachine experience...

1) It's really fast compared to a TimeCapsule, not quite as fast as a local drive

2) Not quite as fast perhaps - on a TS-453Pro compared to a MacMini running OS X Server with an attached USB3/FW800/Thunderbolt drive

3) With 5 clients backing up to the QNAP - after a month or so, all the sparse bundles end up corrupted, and El Cap's TimeMachine Client states that the backup has various issues, and gives up - starting a new backup, nuking the old one - this only happens so far on QNAP as compared to direct attached drives, OS X Server, or Apple's TimeCapsule...

4) QNAP's Backup Station - doesn't see, nor can backup, the TimeMachine backup stores - so lose the NAS, lose the backup stores...

So for the moment, can't recommend using QNAP's TimeMachine support...

I have not seen any automatic backup setup work consistently. Either it stops working without letting you know, it corrupts the data (much like you have seen) or a wrench is thrown into the gears when you need to use the backups after a catastrophe.

I know others will swear by auto backup software. But I am in the camp that doing it manually is the best way to keep on top of any show stopping developments as the system(s) that are backed up are continually updated, changed and even used differently than their original purchase decision.

TimeMachine is nice to have around - I also image drives on a regular basis with CCC (Carbon Copy Cloner)...

I'm just finding that under ElCap, QNAP's TimeMachine implementation on QTS 4.2.0 seems to be lacking compared to either local Disks, Apple's TimeCapsules, or OS X Server's implementation..

If I were to guess, it's because of how QNAP has implemented it as a SparseBundle file on top of EXT4...

Another gripe is that all TimeMachine support is under the TimeMachine account on QTS, which means all users can see/access the other spare bundles - note, this might not be specific to QTS, but on QTS, this is a problem..

Synology's "Time Backup" optionally installed app is exactly what I want in archiving selected files/folders and keeping the last n versions. Nice GUI.
QNAP needs the same thing?