What's new

QNAP TS-451 doesn't start. Lemon?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

LuisGC

New Around Here
Hi, I bought a QNAP TS-451 online, which I have received today.

I setup two HDDs on it and switched it on, however it only stays ON for some time (30 seconds or so) and then it seems to restart and keeps doing this forever :(

I made a video that you can see here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2hyy7LBLZL8

I can hear the disks spinning for a bit and then *plouf*, shutdown and start again.
I tried without the disks, with 1 disk only and the result is the same;
With everything connected (LAN, HDMI) and it's the same;
Can't see anything on the TV when connected to the nas via hdmi either (no signal)

I don't think I'm doing anything wrong, but just in case I wanted to ask you guys.
Any ideas before I return it?

Last edited:
Doesn't look promising. What models disks? Are they on the compatibility list?

Are you sure the power cords are all connecting properly?

The disks are 2 x 4TB WD Red.
Just checked the compatibility list and they're there (to be honest, I'd be surprised if they weren't).

Power is plugged properly. I even checked the power supply and it seems to output 12V uninterruptedly (I measured with a voltmeter for a couple of minutes).

Have you tried without any drives? Does it give any message? Error or otherwise?

Hi,
Is it brand new unit? I don't plug in things shipped in winter time right away. I open package and make sure it is climatized in room temperature for possible condensation inside the unit.
Condensation can even damage stuffs.

If it's fresh out of the box, I'd return it for an exchange - sometimes things to fail upon first use...

Otherwise, I'd open a ticket with QNAP support - they're slow sometimes to respond, but generally pretty good about supporting their stuff.