What's new

QNAP TS-451+ memory upgrade options/strategy

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

jail4ceos2

Occasional Visitor
Hi

I just got a TS-451+ and it came with 2GB of memory. I went to the local Transcend shop and I can replicate the same stick to have 2x2GB RAM in the unit. I'm now in a quandry. Can I install only 2x2GB, rather than 2x4GB as blessed by QNAP? I can't find anyone stating if this is OK. I saw one post that said one must use equal sized pieces of" balanced" RAM, but the device shipped with a single stick. Could I install a single stick of 4GB, or even a single 8GB, or does it have to be a pair of balanced sticks? Could I use the existing 2GB, and add an additional 4GB stick in the other RAM socket creating an "unbalanced" 6GB? I'm surprised no one is trying this, so perhaps all of my above ideas about configuration are not an allowed configuration by QNAP?

Most people are tossing their 2GB and buying 2x4GB. I think my video (only 1080p, using an Oppo 105D, video streamer 95% .mkv's) and audio consumption (high bitrate .flac to a Linn streamer) will be the largest load on the unit, so I think 4GB is enough. I may try using the NAS as a Kodi box, rather than having the Oppo/Linn pull raw bits, rather than transcoded ones, from the NAS.

two matched sticks are better for video performance on that chipset...

Thanks, I did that. I got 2x4GB ADATA sticks for around $65.

For anyone coming across this later, I originally got a pair of regular voltage sticks. My Chinese is crappy, and they are overwhelmed by my presence, so often the important questions get missed. Here, I needed them to know these would go in a NAS, and would be low voltage spec. I don't know if this applies to all NAS RAM, but this unit's RAM was designated as 1600 DDR3L....the L being low voltage, so check this in your search. The shop was cool when I marched in with an unbootable NAS: OH! NAS! Blah blah blah, mayo wenti, gei ni quai.

I haven't really run the unit through it's paces to see if this off brand RAM is OK. I've done a few transfers, one hitting the benchmarks shown in the tests done here on SNB (110 MB/s? from HTPC straight to QNAP), another only 60ish MB/s. This could have been because it was coming off my Syno, through my HTPC, and then to the QNAP all wired through the AC88U.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!