What's new

Qnap TS212P - Synology DS213j - Asustor AS-202TE

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

maiky76

New Around Here
Hi,

Like many I am looking at buying a media NAS.
It will essentially be used to serve Video/music/picture to my Raspberry Pi so NFS or SMB are must have.
That will be latter replaced by a more powerful HTPC so I start planning the upgrade by consolidating the media…

The NAS will be hooked to an ASUS N56U router that is already doing a good job with a 2T USB HDD attached to it.
Frankly this set up does all basics that I need: it can stream via wifi HD rips to the RPi with no hiccup and a solid rock stability.
I can transfer file from my laptop at about 4.5Mb/s on wifi n 2.4GHz which not too fast though.
But 2T is too small and I am afraid that the USB driver won’t survive long when used 24-7-365.
The NAS will be wired to the router and will be accessed both via wifi and cable.

So here I am choosing a NAS and I would like to have the following features:
• 2 bays, I think I will go for independent HDD as I have 2T and 1T USB drive for Back up really important stuff. I am tempted by WD red 4Tb HDDs
• Able to have NFS and/or SMB shares
• Can easily access through the internet to share stuff with my relatives/mates (FTP I guess)
• Can automatically back up iPhone and Android pictures (other things not critical)
• Easy back up of SD cards for pictures
• Back up one itinerant laptop via cable

The rest is not critical but could be a nice touch
• Torrent download
• Ip cam accessible via internet (iPhone, Android)

I live in China so some things are cheaper some aren’t and some things are available some aren’t…
Given all that I made this short list:
• Qnap TS212P (about 185USD)
• Synology DS213j (about 185USD)
• Asustor AS-202TE (about 215USD)

The last one is about the same price but is atom based and can run XBMC directly seems much more powerful / future proof?

So any advice?

Mickael

I'd go with Synology or QNAP.
I chose Synology for a DSM 212 and have been pleased.

I would not choose any but one of these two vendors' products.
Try their demos on their web site.
Lots of users here have those two brands.

Hi Mickael,
I am in a similar quandary. Can't decide if I should go for Synology DS213j or Asustor 202TE.
My needs are roughly similar except that I am not interested in an IP cam at all... and this is going to be my final solution. No plans for growing later.

Did you decide on one finally? If so which one and how is your experience so far with the one you chose?

Thanks,
Kunal

Hi,

Like many I am looking at buying a media NAS.
It will essentially be used to serve Video/music/picture to my Raspberry Pi so NFS or SMB are must have.
That will be latter replaced by a more powerful HTPC so I start planning the upgrade by consolidating the media…

The NAS will be hooked to an ASUS N56U router that is already doing a good job with a 2T USB HDD attached to it.
Frankly this set up does all basics that I need: it can stream via wifi HD rips to the RPi with no hiccup and a solid rock stability.
I can transfer file from my laptop at about 4.5Mb/s on wifi n 2.4GHz which not too fast though.
But 2T is too small and I am afraid that the USB driver won’t survive long when used 24-7-365.
The NAS will be wired to the router and will be accessed both via wifi and cable.

So here I am choosing a NAS and I would like to have the following features:
• 2 bays, I think I will go for independent HDD as I have 2T and 1T USB drive for Back up really important stuff. I am tempted by WD red 4Tb HDDs
• Able to have NFS and/or SMB shares
• Can easily access through the internet to share stuff with my relatives/mates (FTP I guess)
• Can automatically back up iPhone and Android pictures (other things not critical)
• Easy back up of SD cards for pictures
• Back up one itinerant laptop via cable

The rest is not critical but could be a nice touch
• Torrent download
• Ip cam accessible via internet (iPhone, Android)

I live in China so some things are cheaper some aren’t and some things are available some aren’t…
Given all that I made this short list:
• Qnap TS212P (about 185USD)
• Synology DS213j (about 185USD)
• Asustor AS-202TE (about 215USD)

The last one is about the same price but is atom based and can run XBMC directly seems much more powerful / future proof?

So any advice?

Mickael

Biased towards QNAP

Hi! I would definitely go with the QNAP as it is going to give you higher quality and more reliability. Although I am a little biased because I work here :D

Please let me know if there is anything I can do to assist you.

T

really should ask employees of vendors and those with a vested interest to shun bias here.

really should ask employees of vendors and those with a vested interest to shun bias here.

If they want to help with queries of any nature that's fine, but they should try to avoid expressing which make/model users should pick.

Hi, i was choosing between those two also and went with the QNAP. i have been quite disappointed with it though and now wish i had bought the synology. i wanted it for media serving and liked the idea of plex and twonky to stream to my samsung smart tv however neither worked properly. i have since uninstalled them and tried to reinstall them again but they wont reinstall at all and i cant figure out why. also i found that the backup to external usb drives facility doesnt work properly. when i first do the backup it works but then the external drives seem to go to sleep or something (WD green drives) and the auto backups dont happen without me restarting them manually. turns out nearly every brand of usb2 drive arent approved to work with the qnap. also my usb3 drive isnt even recognised at all and so the usb3 feature is also useless. there is plenty about these kinds of issues on the various forums but no quick fixes that i can locate. my experience is that the product is buggy and i wish i hadnt bought it at all.

Hi, i was choosing between those two also and went with the QNAP. i have been quite disappointed with it though and now wish i had bought the synology. i wanted it for media serving and liked the idea of plex and twonky to stream to my samsung smart tv however neither worked properly. i have since uninstalled them and tried to reinstall them again but they wont reinstall at all and i cant figure out why. also i found that the backup to external usb drives facility doesnt work properly. when i first do the backup it works but then the external drives seem to go to sleep or something (WD green drives) and the auto backups dont happen without me restarting them manually. turns out nearly every brand of usb2 drive arent approved to work with the qnap. also my usb3 drive isnt even recognised at all and so the usb3 feature is also useless. there is plenty about these kinds of issues on the various forums but no quick fixes that i can locate. my experience is that the product is buggy and i wish i hadnt bought it at all.

You have taken advantage of the automatic support that's included, right?
(which offers several kinds of comms, including telephone)

My DS212's USB3 automated backup works well. The drive itself goes to sleep after inactivity, irrespective of the NAS. Daily NAS backup wakes it up.
Some drive enclosures have bad chipsets. I have some that don't work right for use with the NAS and some that don't let the drive sleep.
It's trial and error. The NAS vendors have recommended USB3 enclosure vendors but most aren't available in the US.

I chose a Synology DS214-Play as it seamlessly supports Mac file system permissions and Mac Formatted external USB 3 drives (HFS+). The DS214P has an Intel Dual core processor and so supports Mac External discs :)

I had enormous problems copying Mac files over the LAN to my old Buffalo QVL-787 4 Disc RAID as it the file permissions wouldn't copy over correctly.

Im very happy with the Synology & glad I didn't go for QNAP and their "high quality" but obviously not-so-compatible boxes.

So where's the other thread, that link points to a user (QNAP rep).
Plus that's hardly a proper sample, to identify systemic compatibility issues you need a very large sample.

I have one 204TE and just good enough for xbmc

hi, i'm using 204TE but only loaded with 2 drives. coz I might put another one later. All is fine and xbmc is also just good to play the download films. But it seems less powerful to play high quality movies. Recently saw the news about AS7004T, would love to see the chart from SNB soon! :p

This goes with i3, i think it will be great for high quality movies.

asustor_as7004t.jpg

hi, i'm using 204TE but only loaded with 2 drives. coz I might put another one later. All is fine and xbmc is also just good to play the download films. But it seems less powerful to play high quality movies. Recently saw the news about AS7004T, would love to see the chart from SNB soon! :p

This goes with i3, i think it will be great for high quality movies.
Most any NAS will serve out video content well. The question is how does the NAS software compare in features and tools, to QNAP and Synology?

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!