What's new

QNAP Virtualization Station Update - 6.3.15

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

sfx2000

Part of the Furniture
Check the releases notes and upgrade if needed... login to the QNAP, and the update should be there to download...

------------

Virtualization Station 1.4.3366
( 2015/05/29 )
[Improvements]
l Supports remote export of virtual machines (VM)
l Added new overview page layout
l Added support for USB 3.0 in VM
l Divided ports configuration into Port Settings and UPnP Settings
l Fixed security issue - VENOM: QEMU vulnerability (CVE-2015-3456)
l Instead of selecting VMs in the QVM Setting, you can setup VM as QVM in the overview page

[Bug Fixes]
l Fixed bug - Displays the message: “The port 8088 / 8089 has been used by other applications. Please disable those applications and restart Virtualization Station again” when launching the Virtualization Station using QTS version 4.1.4
l Fixed bug - Displays the string: “Missing” on the VM network
l Fixed bug - Displays the message: “cannot get interface MTU on bra” when starting the VM
l Fixed bug - Cannot click “Restart” and “Apply” in Network Settings
l Fixed bug - Cannot export VM with the error message “File check failed”

[Note]
l If the NAS uses QTS 4.1.4 and displays the message “The port 8088 / 8089 has been used by other applications….” when launching Virtualization Station, then please update to the latest version of Virtualization Station.

[Limitations]
l Due to the security fix (CVE-2015-3456) every VM needs to be shutdown before upgrading this version.
l USB 3.0 is only available for Windows 8 or above, CentOS 7 or above, Fedora 16 or above, RHEL 7 or above and Ubuntu 14.04 or above.
l This version is only available for QTS versions 4.1.x.

Last edited:
How bulletproof is Virtualization Station? Would you run Win Server 2012R2 Essentials on it for a SOHO? 6 users....

I keep hearing...no way...and I should invest in PC hardware. Or at the very least I need to buy 2 x QNAP units and keep one as a hot spare. Thoughts...

How bulletproof is Virtualization Station? Would you run Win Server 2012R2 Essentials on it for a SOHO? 6 users....

I keep hearing...no way...and I should invest in PC hardware. Or at the very least I need to buy 2 x QNAP units and keep one as a hot spare. Thoughts...

I probably would not as an authoritative item on my network... at least not for Windows...

Knowing the security issues, and how to avoid them - I run a Debian8 VM 24/7 as a public facing ssh and http host...

QTS was updated today and it affects Virtualization Station...

QTS4.1.4 Build 0522

[Enhancement]- Updated the glibc x86_64 version from 2.11.1 to 2.19 and fixed the GHOST vulnerability (CVE-2015-0235.)

(Note: Due to changes in the x86_64 library, some apps (including Virtualization Station, aMule, DVBLink TV Server) may fail to start after patch application. If this is the case, please update the affected apps to their latest version in QNAP App Center.)

I saw that one, but it's not showing up on the QTS Dashboard - it's basically the GHOST glibc fix, and the only application that is vulnerable is the VPN server/client, so if not used it might not be needed...

It's case dependent, and it's a restart if applied...

I would have rather QNAP just released a package file to update this one, as firmware updates can be a bit scary in any event, whereas just updating the glibc package, while a bit painful (on RHEL it's up to 12 RPM packages depending on what's installed, I know, I had to write a Method Of Procedure file for that patch across 7 platforms...), and in Telecom space, a full reboot of an application server is a really big deal...

As long as the QNAP isn't on the WAN side of a SOHO network, it's probably safe to wait for the really big pain point of QTS 4.2, which is expected towards the latter end of June 2015...

As long as the QNAP isn't on the WAN side of a SOHO network, it's probably safe to wait for the really big pain point of QTS 4.2, which is expected towards the latter end of June 2015...

And if one does have a VM facing the public WAN, make sure it's packages are also updated if Linux...

QTS was updated today and it affects Virtualization Station...

QTS4.1.4 Build 0522

[Enhancement]- Updated the glibc x86_64 version from 2.11.1 to 2.19 and fixed the GHOST vulnerability (CVE-2015-0235.)

(Note: Due to changes in the x86_64 library, some apps (including Virtualization Station, aMule, DVBLink TV Server) may fail to start after patch application. If this is the case, please update the affected apps to their latest version in QNAP App Center.)

Ok, they pushed this out for GA to end-users...

qnap-qtsupdate-ts453pro.png

The build has been out for a bit...

QTS4.1.4 Build 0522

[Enhancement]
- Updated the glibc x86_64 version from 2.11.1 to 2.19 and fixed the GHOST vulnerability (CVE-2015-0235.)

- All users can now upload to shared folders (right click on a folder in File Station > "Share" > "Via Email" > "Allow file upload to this folder".)

[Bug fixes]

1. - Upgrading to firmware 4.1.3 increased fan speeds and fan noise (for TS-x79U-RP, TS-EC880U/1280U/1680U and SS-ECx79U-SAS-RP.)
  2. - The system fails to display the desktop correctly after logging into QTS using Internet Explorer (on Windows 32-bit) and 360 Browser.
  3. - SNMP Server cannot be enabled after establishing a PPTP VPN connection between the NAS and a PC.
  4. - Port trunking settings are not retained after system migration.
  5. - The system fails to copy files to the NAS from external devices using the HFS+ file system in File Station.
  6. - The system fails to restrict playback to tagged photos in slideshow mode in Photo Station after filtering conditions are set.
  7. - The system fails to display the graphic meters for CPU and memory the first time the Dashboard is opened with Chrome.
  8. - Users are unable to retrieve a directory listing from the FTP Server with an FTP client.
  9. - The system fails to back up LUNs (giving an error message: I/O error while copying the LUN data.)
  10. - The system fails to finish a complete SMART test (for WD WD4001FYYG-01SL3.)
  11. - The system fails to detect global spare drives after system migration.
  12. - TX-x31+ fails to create albums with a Chinese name in Photo Station.
  13. - TX-x31+ fails to create video collections with a Chinese name in Video Station.

Last edited: