What's new

QNAP Virtualization Station

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

CiscoKid85

New Around Here
Hi SNB Community Members,

I have a quick question regarding QNAP's "Virtualization Station" feature. If I'm correct, this feature would allow me to run VMs on the QNAP.

What I'm curious to know however is if this supports trunking? Can I trunk the QNAP to my home switch and have different VM's run on different VLANs?

Does anyone have any insight on this?

Thanks,
-Ryan

Yes... and Yes.

When VirtSta is installed, it includes the Virtual Switch, and there is a ton of functionality that can be done there.

Yes, you can.

You have probably read my post about running PostgreSQL server on a QNAP NAS.

This post made me realize how powerful a NAS can be! And that made me think that I could just run a Postgres server in a Ubuntu VM. I never used VMs before, and correct me if I'm wrong. Does QNAP limits the Ubuntu VM on the available debian packages? We still have access to the same repo as a non-VM Ubuntu installation has, right?

You have probably read my post about running PostgreSQL server on a QNAP NAS.

This post made me realize how powerful a NAS can be! And that made me think that I could just run a Postgres server in a Ubuntu VM. I never used VMs before, and correct me if I'm wrong. Does QNAP limits the Ubuntu VM on the available debian packages? We still have access to the same repo as a non-VM Ubuntu installation has, right?

The VM is exactly like a real CPU with a bit of overhead on top. If yo don't over provision memory and understand what you are doing (there are limits to how much vm's will work well per cpu etc) then you might notice VM's have advantages as well (snapshots etc).

Just remember what the CPU's are. :)