What's new

QoS Help

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

RADDY1993

Occasional Visitor
Guys i have a Asus RT-AC66U running Asuswrt-Merlin firmware 380.62_alpha1-g96b6837 and its running great. I am trying to set up QoS so i get less BufferBloat as i am a PS4 gamer, i currently have my download set to 97% and upload set to70%, i ran speedtest.net to get my speeds. I get A, A C on DSLreports which i know is good but is there any way i can improve this to maybe get A+. Also us there any other tweaks i can make in my settings to help improve on my connection. I am on Sky Fibre using a Huawei HG612 Openreach Modem and the mentioned above router, my speeds are 40/10 but i get around 30 down and 9 up.

Rather than trying to play with just class-ordered shaping in Merlin, I'd add-in a better queuing algorythm, either in substitute, or on top of your shapers -- namely fq_codel (google it). If you can live without certain Merlin features (if any), I'd put AdvancedTomato on there, choose "fq_codel" as your qdisc in the QoS section, fill in upload/download speeds, specify any manual class shapers you want, and you're good to go. That should get you the "A" status you're looking for. WAN-LAN throughput in Tomato will be lower than Merlin, as you lose Broadcom's hardware-accelerated cut-through-forwarding, but you'll still be able to move 50 Mb/s aggregate easily, so nothing to worry about there.

As far as bandwidth utilization goes, a good majority of QoS is going to yield slightly lower WAN throughput than the quoted maximums, but the trade-off is often worth it as long as you're getting the desired effect(s) on the traffic.

Last edited:
Rather than trying to play with just class-ordered shaping in Merlin, I'd add-in a better queuing algorythm, either in substitute, or on top of your shapers -- namely fq_codel (google it). If you can live without certain Merlin features (if any), I'd put AdvancedTomato on there, choose "fq_codel" as your qdisc in the QoS section, fill in upload/download speeds, specify any manual class shapers you want, and you're good to go. That should get you the "A" status you're looking for. WAN-LAN throughput in Tomato will be lower than Merlin, as you lose Broadcom's hardware-accelerated cut-through-forwarding, but you'll still be able to move 50 Mb/s aggregate easily, so nothing to worry about there.

As far as bandwidth utilization goes, a good majority of QoS is going to yield slightly lower WAN throughput than the quoted maximums, but the trade-off is often worth it as long as you're getting the desired effect(s) on the traffic.
Thanx for the reply, i did try Tomato Shibby but could net get it to connect to internet as im on sky so as you know they use Mer. I have my username and password but am not experienced enough to figure out how to connect.

I use Untangle for a firewall and it has some pretty advanced QOS features but I have never gotten better than A, A, C on DSLReports. Is A+ possible on that site?

I use Untangle for a firewall and it has some pretty advanced QOS features but I have never gotten better than A, A, C on DSLReports. Is A+ possible on that site?
Yes i can get an A+ on Quality and sometimes i had A+ on Bufferbloat but just not consistent. I have now tried AdvancedTomato, Shibby Tomato and DD-WRT and am now back on Merlin as i get best results and better speeds with it. I get 28,55 down and 9.11 up so i set up at 85% and down at 95% and get A A C.