What's new

QOS not working properly at bw management

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

133794m3r

Occasional Visitor
I have my guest devices setup to have the lowest QOS priority and the maximum bandwith is setup at 50% of the total bw available at it's peak so that the other client's aren't screwed over by a bandwith hog.

Well it's been doing OK up until today where it's using the full upload and download bandwith and causing e3veryone else on the router to have their bandwith run worth shirt.

I even did per-device bw and the only thing that caused it to work OK was when I manually blocked them. It should've never came to this because I setup the QOS rules specifically to force it to not let anyone hog the bandwith too much.

I have made sure that me personally I never use more than half of the bw except when no one else is here.

If your guests are only connecting by WiFi I have found the easiests and most effective way to regulate guests network use is by using a second router double NATed behind your primary router. I have an old 54G running DD-WRT that I only set up to support B devicess. With link rate of 11 the best speed my guests can get is 5 Mbps download which is fine for mobil devices. To further restrict the speed you can also underclock the processor.

With a seperate router I also have the flexibility to set other access restrictions if necessary.