What's new

QOS on USB3 Shared Disk access ?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

davidml

New Around Here
Hi,

i bought : RT-AC56U,

installed last firmware from ASUS - Automatic mode from Routeur - version 339,

and then Now Merlin version : 3.0.0.4.374.38_1 (better),

but with the 2 version a have an issue , i activated QOS (Default setup) and setup my bandwith
connection 16Mb UP and 1MB DL.

But , when i try to transfer file from USB3 disk to a local PC , the transfer is limited to 100KB/s,

if i deactivate QOS : 29 MB/s

Is it normal that Lan trasfer to / From USB share disk are limited by QOS ?

Or it should only be the case when Up/DL by the internet ?

Or i am wrong with the setup of bandwith, i now Put 1000Mbs , to be able my Internet queries are QOS'ed - That works fine but not sure the setup should be this one.

Thanks

hey, try removing any rules with ports 88, 137, 139 or 445

[edit/] also, maybe adjusting the qos priorities so that everything is 100% will help

Last edited:
I'm in automatic mode , no rules other than default ones :

Web Surf 80 tcp 0~512 Highest
HTTPS 443 tcp 0~512 Highest
File Transfer 80 tcp 512~ Low
File Transfer 443 tcp 512~ Low

Is it OK ? or need to add new rules ?

what kind of applications do you use, any pc games, consoles, etc?

i've had the best luck by deleting all the default rules, setting priorities to 100% for everything, unchecking everything at the bottom and using rules similar to below

53 - highest //this is for dns
3074 - highest //xbox live, for the xbox 360, at least
3478 - highest //ps3
3479 - highest //ps3
3480 - highest //ps3
3658 - highest //ps3
3659 - highest //ps3
27015 - highest //usual steam port for valve games; cs:s, l4d2, etc
7777 - highest //most unreal engine servers; ut2004, ut3, etc
80 - high //http
443 - high //https

and not adding anything else except other things that need low latency, all with highest priority.

if you play other games like CoD on the PC, etc, you'll want to add the ports servers listen on with a 'highest' priority

this will NOT give ICMP priority, so high pings over icmp are a false-positive; this has everything working very smoothly for me such as low latency applications while streaming netflix or torrenting at my max download bandwidth capacity.

i've not experienced any issues with limited bandwidth from torrents, streaming or SMB file transfers

also, i never set anything to medium or lower.

[edit/] you may decide you want to add SMB ports, the usual ones are 139 and 445, with a high priority; your call

also, do not try and use port ranges or comma separated ports. these caused my router to hang pretty badly

sorry, i made a lot of edits. gotta run errands now, so sorry for any delayed responses

Last edited:
thanks , i will try this.

for moment just PC ,no console:

android device by wifi.

QOS activated to not be freezed during Games or Web Surf while an other PC
runs Windows or Steam Updates , or file download.

An other PC is utorrent'ing , passing by OpenVPN.

Play BF4 , but not tested for moment.

made a mistake that i just caught; i would set the SMB ports to 'high', not highest. very sorry about that

Last edited:
moved this to another post;

also forgot to add; i set the all the rules to do both tcp and udp

also, for the sake of xbox 360 kinect users that might read this; i guess kinect uses port 1863, one would want to add that to highest as well

for battlefield 4, looks like the most important port is 3659, add that to highest. the game probably uses other ports for other things, but that appears to be the default port servers listen on when you are actually playing. anybody willing to chime in on this? i have yet to pick up bf4

additional important ports to add;

xbox one; 500, 3544, 4500
various cod games; 27014, 27015, 20500, 20510, 28960, 4379, 4380, 5165
various games; 5223
quake games; 27910, 27950, 27952, 27960, 27965, 27650
some ps3 games; 10070
ps3 remote play; 9293
some wii games; 3075

some games use anywhere from 27000 to 27050 (this sucks, because like i mentioned earlier, ranges and comma separated ports dont work very well. if you need to use a port besides 27014 or 27015, i'd try and add them one at a time)

i was going to try and specify bf3, but that game sucked anyway and it seems to use a million different ports. eff that noise. if you need them, i'd only use the following for QoS; 14000 - 14016, 22990, 25200 (still a lot of ports, i know)

some things appear to need port 88 for whatever reason. [edit] i'd set this to high rather than highest[/edit]

i tried to only specify different ports used by everything, not every port everything uses. i would just add all the ports above if you're a hardcore-ish pc/console gamer, except perhaps 14000 - 14016. this was a handy resource in compiling this list

again, all these ports should be set to highest

to try and find out what ports specifically are being used; run CMD as admin and use netstat -anb while you are connected to a game server

[edit] starcraft 2 servers listen on port 6113

pc minecraft; 25565

here's screenshots of my somewhat lengthy qos list and priorities pages;
holy crap qos
qos priorities list [/edit]

[edit] finally added the xbox one specific ports, so they aren't included in the screenshots. also, to clarify, basically use 'highest' priority for low-latency applications, and 'high' where you want to prioritize bandwidth over things like torrents. DO NOT ADD TORRENTS to the QoS list. [/edit]

Last edited:
Hi

Very thanks to all your recommendations, should be very usefull to anybody wants to Fine Tuning for QOS Rules.

But my first question was about QOS and USB Shared, Perhaps a Bug into firmware that could be corrected into next firmware ?

Normally Usb shared access should only be limited from/to internet side, not by the Lan access as for Lan to Lan transfers.

And Bandwith parameters should be linked to Internet Connection Bandwith,
i input 1000 Mbs (that is not by real bandwith 16Mbs/1Mbs) to not be limited
for Usb transfers.

I suspect this is not very correct to setup to 1000Mbs , QOS and router overloaded for 16Mbs download (my real connection) thinks only 1.6 % bandwith is used, and will not apply priority for connection

Regards

shirt, you're right about the lan side bandwidth, i think. never thought of that. as far as smb shares being open to the wan, that's a known (recent-ish) issue for the ac56 and ac68. there's another thread about it somewhere

[edit2] sorry, think i misread what you meant about qos wan-lan relationship, i was caught up thinking about the lan-side bandwidth[/edit2]

[edit1/] i just set up and down to 1000 since my network is all gigabit and qos priorities are all set for 100%

as far as qos, it does prioritize who gets to go first, even with the overloaded qos bandwidth settings. this was most important for me, at least. like i said, i still get exceptionally low latency to everywhere despite any kind of saturation on the network

Last edited:
fyi: since qos appears to affect lan side bandwidth to the router, if anybody uses RADIUS, it would probably be a good idea to set ports 1812 and 1813 to high or highest, with this configuration

Hey; not to necro an old thread, but I wanted to pop in and say thank you. I followed the essence of your suggestions and it helped bring harmony to our house.