What's new

QoS priority for internal network WiFi devices?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Chuckles67

Regular Contributor
Using Asuswrt-Merlin 384.13 on a RT-AC66U-B1 router. "QoS WAN/LAN Bandwidth Monitor" is working very well for internet traffic: I set media streaming static IP addresses to Highest priority such as Apple TV and Firesticks, and computers that do file downloads to lower priority. It's clear this QoS allocates the WAN internet connection priority which is very useful (without "QoS WAN/LAN Bandwidth Monitor" I see poor media streaming quality when downloading large files, so it's working great for my setup.)
I have a new antenna TV network tuner connected via LAN to a Merlin RT-AC68U setup as a Media Bridge over WiFi to the RT-AC66U-B1 router. My question: how can I ensure this RT-AC68U Media Bridge gets the highest priority over WiFi for my internal network? "QoS WAN/LAN Bandwidth Monitor" works in my setup for external WAN internet connection; does that also apply QoS priority for the WiFi and LAN traffic within my network too, e.g.: between my networked TV tuner and a networked media player?

Last edited:
are you useing adaptive qos if so install the fresh jr qos script, then use 95% of speedtest.net bandiwth values, then set your perpacet overhead from the drop down box that matches yor connection type.
dont use the device priority in the bandiwth montor its broken.

Will the fresh jr qos script set QoS priority on internal network traffic - within my network? (I'm not asking about QoS priority for the external internet connection).

Will the fresh jr qos script set QoS priority on internal network traffic - within my network? (I'm not asking about QoS priority for the external internet connection).
Technically yes, I read that you are using an apple tv and fire sticks, it will set the device priority based on traffic, once it's installed you just set the QoS to custom priority and which category that you want prioritise other another.

My advice is to give it a go and see if it helps it's the only way to know for sure, and it doesn't harm.

Thanks for this. It looks straightforward to install/uninstall fresh jr if it doesn't work out.

One line to uninstall the script, and one line to install, make sure to enable jfs partition, in administration before you star.

does that also apply QoS priority for the WiFi and LAN traffic within my network too, e.g.: between my networked TV tuner and a networked media player?
No. QoS only effects routed WAN to LAN (and vice versa) traffic. It cannot effect LAN to LAN traffic which is switched or bridged.

are you useing adaptive qos if so install the fresh jr qos script, then use 95% of speedtest.net bandiwth values, then set your perpacet overhead from the drop down box that matches yor connection type.
dont use the device priority in the bandiwth montor its broken.
@Vexira when doing the test thru speedtest.net it's recommended to this wired vs wireless thru a PC vs mobile phone to get a more accurate reading correct?

No. QoS only effects routed WAN to LAN (and vice versa) traffic. It cannot effect LAN to LAN traffic which is switched or bridged.
Doesn't that also apply to bandwidth monitor priority as well?

@Vexira when doing the test thru speedtest.net it's recommended to this wired vs wireless thru a PC vs mobile phone to get a more accurate reading correct?
On a non noisy network LAN is the best as in a wired test, I do mine via the app on my phone or on my PC, the only reason I do it on my phone is because my PC is a pain at times and my ram is faulty so it's crashes.