What's new

QoS settings help

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

bogolisk

Occasional Visitor
Hi

I'm planning on switching to VoIP (ooma or obihai). I'd really appreciate some pointers to on how to setup QoS correctly for VoIP.

Thank you

Hi

I'm planning on switching to VoIP (ooma or obihai). I'd really appreciate some pointers to on how to setup QoS correctly for VoIP.

Thank you

You did not mention what router or modem you have. Any how if I were you, I'd try it first and then start tweaking QoS or whatever.

Personally I just enable Adaptive QoS, set proper down/upstream values, and forget about it.

What connection speed will you have? If you have something fast, you can probably do without QoS.

I'm on Comcast Blast (150/10) and am doing fine without QoS.

Also you should shop around for a VoIP provider. There are probably cheaper options out there.

My connection is fairly slow (compared to yours) 25/10 (the uplink is comparable though). First, anything is cheaper than what Bell (Canada) is charging me: $40.00 for a barebone residential line (no Caller-ID, LD not included, no voicemail, nothing.)

My wife want the best voice quality (at least on par with what we currently have.) she always complains about cell-phone's voice quality. I'm tempting to go with ooma since it has a good reputation on voice quality. However, freephoneline.ca has no monthly fee and its SIP server is in the same city as my ISP's gateway (Montreal). I have no idea where's ooma SIP server, but rumours have it in California.

Back to the topic:

In the "User-defined QoS rules" screen, I can't find service type related to VoIP. It has services like "netmeeting", "facetime", etc. but no VoIP. How do I specify QoS priority for VoIP?

--
Thanx