What's new

Question about DNS settings

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Cyanix

Occasional Visitor
Greetings,

In the Merlin firmware, into tools/other settings, we have this option:

"Wan: Use local caching DNS server as system resolver (default: No)"

Does it mean that, if enabled, the router acts as a DNS proxy (and does not when disabled) ?

I get consistently better results in DNS Benchmark with this option disabled. Is this tool still reliable ?

Thank you.

This setting only influences DNS queries made by the router itself, not any queries coming from clients on the LAN who use the router as their DNS server. If the setting is No, the router will use the WAN DNS servers for any local lookups. If it is set to yes, it will use the router's own dnsmasq DNS server (same as clients use).

So your DNS Benchmark results shouldn't be influenced by this setting at all.

If you click on the description, you will get a popup giving you more details about that setting.

If you click on the description, you will get a popup giving you more details about that setting.
I always click for hints, but i couldn't differentiate queries made by the clients from queries made by the router.