What's new

Question about Startech NAS storage

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

apvm

Regular Contributor
I picked up one of these at Kijiji for $25 http://www.startech.com/ca/HDD/Enclosures/NAS-RAID-Enclosure~S352BMU3N My question is I mapped the drive in Window 10's file explorer but whenever I open file explorer, it will wake up the Startech even though I am just accessing my OS C: drive. I have also mapped network drive which is with the Dlink DNS-320L but they will not wake up until I actually click/access the drive.

The only work around right now for me is not to map the startech drive in file explorer. I am wondering if there is a fix to stop it from waking up if I map it inside file explorer. TIA

Thats because the NIC wakes it up whenever there is traffic towards it. Whenever you open the explorer it will continously recheck the drives and this does send requests to the storage. You can change this by configuring it only ensure that magic packets wake it up or you could spend a lot of effort modifying windows to not query network drives unless you open them.