What's new

Question about USB 3.0

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Jumpstarter

If I am not experiencing any noise interference on my Wireless log page for 2.4 GHZ signal, is it safe to assume my usb 3.0 hard drive is not affecting my 2.4GHZ performance, if not, what is a true test that I can conduct to tell? I am not noticing any Noise difference between using USB 2.0 or using USB 3.0 as options.

I am not noticing any Noise difference between using USB 2.0 or using USB 3.0 as options.
Then you are fine.
Difference can be lower wifi speed (real file up/download test) or bad connection on far clients, connection may end at -70dbm dbi instead of -80dbmdb dbi or something like that.

Last edited:
Then you are fine.
Difference can be lower wifi speed (real file up/download test) or bad connection on far clients, connection may end at -70dbi instead of -80dbi or something like that.
upload_2019-6-15_11-2-28.png

this is the type of noise I have on 2.4ghz it occasionally drops to -88dbm, but bounces right back up immediately after.

sorry you have it to test on your own, nobody can tell you whats best because there is not best way for all!
Too many dependencies, hardware release, USB cable, USB client, antenna position are only some of them beside client compatibility (some dont work on "reduced" 2.0 or even on 3.0).

or bad connection on far clients, connection may end at -70dbi instead of -80dbi or something like that.
can this be avoided by telling it to connect to other AP at -65dbm with roaming assistant? note I have other wired AP's.

Then you are fine.
Difference can be lower wifi speed (real file up/download test) or bad connection on far clients, connection may end at -70dbi instead of -80dbi or something like that.
One would presume that if the noise on both 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz is the same (in my case -83 dBm) then the 2.4 GHz band isn't affected?

Then you are fine.
-70dbi instead of -80dbi or something like that.

dbm is a absolute level (0 dbm = 1 mW) usually over 50 or 75 ohm's impedance.
db is a relative level.
dbi is measured over a isotopic dipole.

just for info.......:eek:

dbm is a absolute level (0 dbm = 1 mW) usually over 50 or 75 ohm's impedance.
db is a relative level.
dbi is measured over a isotopic dipole.

just for info.......:eek:
thanks I know, but that doesnt prevent to make failures sometimes, corrected my posting like most did in their mind while reading. And yes it hurts that I gave you even the chance to find it :(
One would presume that if the noise on both 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz is the same (in my case -83 dBm) then the 2.4 GHz band isn't affected?
Sorry dont understand what you mean (probably my bad english).
5G is not affected by USB3.0 or BT, so that all is only relevant to 2.4G.
Usually 2.4G signals are stronger some db or even upto >20, in US with high 5G-channels @1W nearby it can or will be different. But far away what we talk about your 5G will be weaker too, isnt it?
What I wanted to say is, that without disturbing 3.0 you could have slow but usable connection with -80dbm but with turned on 3.0 you can struggle already at -70dbm.

Last edited:
thanks I know, but that doesnt prevent to make failures sometimes, corrected my posting like most did in their mind while reading. And yes it hurts that I gave you even the chance to find it :(

Sorry dont understand what you mean (probably my bad english).
5G is not affected by USB3.0 or BT, so that all is only relevant to 2.4G.
Usually 2.4G signals are stronger some db or even upto >20, in US with high 5G-channels @1W nearby it can or will be different. But far away what we talk about your 5G will be weaker too, isnt it?
What I wanted to say is, that without disturbing 3.0 you could have slow but usable connection with -80dbm but with turned on 3.0 you can struggle already at -70dbm.
Your English is infinitely better than I am in your native language. :)

I've always believed I don't have an issue, because I've never noticed one. :) So it's purely for my own knowledge at this point. I was wondering if I could presume by the webui System Log -> Wireless Log page, since they both 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz say 'Noise: -83 dBm', that I didn't have any issue. It sounds like that answer is 'no, that doesn't tell me anything'. :)

That said, it's less than 15 meters to any point in my house from my router, and the house is completely wood frame construction, so the walls are more or less invisible to WiFi. My Rokus are on 2.4 GHz, and I've never noticed any issues watching movies on them.

I've always believed I don't have an issue, because I've never noticed one. :) So it's purely for my own knowledge at this point. I was wondering if I could presume by the webui System Log -> Wireless Log page, since they both 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz say 'Noise: -83 dBm', that I didn't have any issue. It sounds like that answer is 'no, that doesn't tell me anything'. :)

That said, it's less than 15 meters to any point in my house from my router, and the house is completely wood frame construction, so the walls are more or less invisible to WiFi. My Rokus are on 2.4 GHz, and I've never noticed any issues watching movies on them.
Thats the greatest difference as most houses in Europe are rock solid concrete (or similar massive construction), a wall is like a faraday cage. And that with 1/5 power on 5G is often near useless.
So we need 2G to go at least through 1 wall with slow rates where US often can cover their farm with 5G.
Cant help anymore with this ratings in your wireless log page, maybe its slightly usefull.

Do you see any difference in 2G noise-logs after changing USB 2.0 to 3.0 with a cheap stick directly connected to 3.0-port while reading on this stick (view some video from it)?

Speed will rise with stronger signal on client (more dbm, -30 is better than -60dbm) and with better signal noise ratio (less noise, -90dbm better than -70dbm). If your signal is -65dbm and noise level seen on -70 you are on the edge of useful connection. Others with noise at -90dbm will have a solid connection even with -75dbm signal. Your -83dbm noise on both channels seems to be ok on customer routers AFAIK.
But you have to look at signal and noise on both sides related to up or download, router and client, now we only discussed it for one direction (half the truth).

Last edited:
Thats the greatest difference as most houses in Europe are rock solid concrete (or similar massive construction), a wall is like a faraday cage. And that with 1/5 power on 5G is often near useless.
I can't speak for the rest of the U.S., but in California the overwhelming majority of homes are wood frame with drywall because most other forms of construction wouldn't last through the first earthquake. :) It's amazing how much a wood frame house will bend without so much as a crack in the drywall.
So we need 2G to go at least through 1 wall with slow rates where US often can cover their farm with 5G.
Cant help anymore with this ratings in your wireless log page, maybe its slightly usefull.

Do you see any difference in 2G noise-logs after changing USB 2.0 to 3.0 with a cheap stick directly connected to 3.0-port while reading on this stick (view some video from it)?
I have an SSD connected by cable to my router, the spousal annoyance factor if I tried to change that just to do a test is far too high to bother. :)