What's new

[Question] Measure Monthly Data Usage?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

sentinelvdx

Very Senior Member
Hi,

Is there a way in Merlin's firm to measure monthly data usage? Not necessary per device and/or type of traffic, just total data.

Thanks,

Sent from my SM-G935FD using Tapatalk

It even includes some pretty graphs (I spent a fair amount of time on these LOL):

upload_2017-7-27_0-11-34.png

That's very cool! Is that available on the RT-N66? I haven't updated to the latest FW yet, still on 380.66.4

Is that available on the RT-N66?

Yes.

Monthly traffic monitoring has been part of the firmware since the very early releases of Asuswrt-Merlin. The graphics were added a few months ago.

I haven't looked at it in awhile, just found the graphing portion, very nice!

Another question, how come I don't see anything when I select monthly? Is that something I have to trigger to start at the beginning of the month?

@Keenan You have to have configured the router to save the information a USB drive (Tools > Other Settings) otherwise it will be lost.

It even includes some pretty graphs (I spent a fair amount of time on these LOL):

View attachment 9947
My bad haha too lazy to look for it. This can also be saved to the usb drive in case of power loss / reboot, right?

Mine is empty, do I have to enable traffic analyzer to start measuring it?

Sent from my SM-G935FD using Tapatalk

Last edited:
This can also be saved to the usb drive in case of power loss / reboot, right?

Same as before. Traffic monitoring was implemented about 5 years ago.

Mine is empty, do I have to enable traffic analyzer to start measuring it?

No, you need to select the USB location, and generate a new datafile, under Tools -> Other Settings.

Thanks, I have already configured it to start the 1st day of the month, and save it to the USB drive. I'll check later to see if it started logging

Instead of creating a new thread I thought I'll just post here. I can't get it to work. It's all blank. Here is a screen shot of USB save location. Does the USB disk have to be formatted in a particular way? I'm using the same disk for skynet, diversion. Created a folder called traffic and pointed to that folder.

Attachments

• Capture1.JPG
    Capture1.JPG
    39.1 KB · Views: 742
Instead of creating a new thread I thought I'll just post here. I can't get it to work. It's all blank. Here is a screen shot of USB save location. Does the USB disk have to be formatted in a particular way? I'm using the same disk for skynet, diversion. Created a folder called traffic and pointed to that folder.
The character "@" in the drive name could be the problem.

Just tried another USB in the other port without @, still same. Also, why does my WAN tab look like this. Traffic flowing but no graph bars moving. I can see the bars under wireless and wired.

Attachments

• Capture2.JPG
    Capture2.JPG
    17.7 KB · Views: 504
Just tried another USB in the other port without @, still same. Also, why does my WAN tab look like this. Traffic flowing but no graph bars moving. I can see the bars under wireless and wired.
When you flashed from stock firmware did you reset to defaults?

When you flashed from stock firmware did you reset to defaults?
Yes and since then I have flashed many rmerlin firmware upgrades and always reset to defaults. I can do that again if you think that could be an issue?

Yes and since then I have flashed many rmerlin firmware upgrades and always reset to defaults. I can do that again if you think that could be an issue?
What file system are you using on these drives?

First drive formatted ext4 using amtm and 2nd drive just now formatted FAT option within the rmerlin firmware GUI.