What's new

Question on network setup.

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Gundu Thadiyan

New Around Here
Hello All,

I have a few questions on how to set up my network to make it a bit more stable.

I have a ubiquiti edgerouter x as my primary router talking to my cable modem and two RT-AC68U & one RT-N66R set up as wireless access points. I am running the latest & greated firmware in all the devices.

I also have pihole set up as the system wide adblock in a linux box in my home.

Both the 2.4 Ghz and 5 Ghz share identical ssid(SSIDName & SSIDName5) to kinda fake a mesh network. For most part this set up has worked well for quite some time, and suddenly in the last few weeks my wireless setup has really started acting up. Initially I isolated the issue to pihole, and got that fixed up.

But now, I am having issues with 2.4 Ghz network. I first disabled the radio in 2 out of the 3 access points, but then none of my devices were able to connect to it and I constantly kept getting rejected with authentication failure issues.

Here are my questions:
1. Am I doing something fundamentally wrong with how I have set up my SSID's? Ideally in the summer this setup worked well when I want to play music in the yard etc.
2. How do I debug issues in my access point when I keep getting rejected with authentication issues, I rebooted etc, but nothing helped. Is there anyway I can find out if the radio is just dying in this access point?

Thanks all!