Question regarding ASUS RT-N66U

Discussion in 'General Wireless Discussion' started by PontiacVibe, Nov 11, 2012.

1. PontiacVibe

PontiacVibe New Around Here

After seeing some great reviews on the ASUS RT-N66U, I bought this unit to replace my Netgear WNDR3700 with DDWRT. I hated the WNDR3700 as it keeps dropping my connections so is about time I replaced it.

I have updated my ASUS router with the latest firmware and everything else seems to be work (haven't play with the USB features yet) but one issues i am getting is connection to the router's login page using HTTPS. Is not working for me. Any clue?

Secondly, I really like to use DDWRT on it, is it stable yet? From what I am reading, it appears to be unstable...

I am not totally sold on the RT-N66U yet, the price is high, especially the fact that DDWRT is having issues with it. Any other recommendations? I dont need amazing wireless performance, but stable, dual band (2.4 & 5Ghz) and DDWRT will be desired.

Last edited: Nov 11, 2012
  2. lfbb

lfbb Regular Contributor

The 64K solution is on this post: CFE bootloader update

Fractal, from the dd-wrt forum, compiled versions with 64K support. You can download them from here:
    ftp://ftp.barryware.net/Fractal%20Builds/RT-N66U%20With%20Cfe%20Upgrade%20ONLY/

If you don't want to update the bootloader (keep in mind that this is a risky procedure) you can use latest Asus stock builds or Merlin builds. Both use a kernel fix to increase the NVRAM to 64K.

- lfbb

3. PontiacVibe

Thanks for the reply, I now understand more about the issue.

So is DD-WRT working on a version that doesn't require a update to the bootloader? Or is this not possible for DD-WRT to be use with this router? I guess this answer will determine if I will return this router or not. Note, I am using this ASUS router as wireless access point only, I have a Cisco ASA5505 as my perimeter firewall between my home network and the Internet. The ASA5505 will do all the routing/dhcp/SPI.

Lastly, I am starting to question if I ever will truly use the capable throughput of this router~. In my new house, I have CAT5 wired throughout and my desktop PC, Apple TV, and media PC (use for watching movies) will be wire instead of wireless. What I need wireless for is my laptop (for regular Internet browsing) and my iPhone 5. I will setup apple airplay so that I can stream songs and movies into my media PC and Apple TV. The streaming process of AirPlay, I suppose I need a decent wireless router, but do I really need this powerful unit from ASUS? Can the IPhone 5 handle a high throughput? My laptop will definitely not as it has wireless G only :)

Thx

4. lfbb

lfbb Regular Contributor

It depends. The NVRAM can easily get filled if you set up on it a lot of variables.

This user at the dd-wrt forum says it works fine:
    http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=86437&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=885

Read the whole thread, the N66U is not cheap and you should be well informed about the NVRAM issue.

P.S: Tomato also has a 64K version.

- lfbb

5. PontiacVibe

I don't think the RT-N66U is right for me.

What would someone recommend if I like the following spec:
    -dual band (2.4 & 5 ghz)
    -dd-wrt and very stable
    -Uses Broadcom chip

Thx