What's new

[Question] Sequential IP Assignment

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

sentinelvdx

Very Senior Member
Hi,

Is there a way to set sequential IP assignment for non-static IP's?
There's no particular reason, just checking because I remember I could on a linux server and would be cool having on the router now.

Sent from S.G. S9+ Duos

Dnsmasq man page:

--dhcp-sequential-ip
Dnsmasq is designed to choose IP addresses for DHCP clients using a hash of the client's MAC address. This normally allows a client's address to remain stable long-term, even if the client sometimes allows its DHCP lease to expire. In this default mode IP addresses are distributed pseudo-randomly over the entire available address range. There are sometimes circumstances (typically server deployment) where it is more convenient to have IP addresses allocated sequentially, starting from the lowest available address, and setting this flag enables this mode. Note that in the sequential mode, clients which allow a lease to expire are much more likely to move IP address; for this reason it should not be generally used.

You'll have to set it in a dnsmasq.conf.add file.

I'll give a try tonight, thanks!

Sent from S.G. S9+ Duos

Dnsmasq man page:

You'll have to set it in a dnsmasq.conf.add file.
Thanks!

I have added the line and found that my phone couldn't get IP after adding "--dhcp-sequential-ip" (my phone has static IP assigned). After removing it and restarting service again to apply change issue solved. Any idea why?

Didn't check yet non-static ip's if they are assigned sequentially.

Sent from S.G. S9+ Duos

Remove the two dashes in front when adding an option to the config file. The two dashes are only used when manually starting dnsmasq from command line