What's new

Questions about NAS

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

reddevil0728

Regular Contributor
I'm pretty new to NAS and not extremely well verse with the terms used for networking solutions so would appreciate if you could advise me in more layman's terms. TIA!

I have been reading the guides in the stickies so I have a bit of idea on what's going on, but before I am embark on more extensive research on which NAS suits me, I would appreciate some clarifications/advices.

So to answer the question "What do you want it to do?", this is what I require.

- Support the more common platforms of Windows, Mac, IOS and Android
- At least 2-Bay, preferably diskless for flexibility
- *Supports recording to 'root folder' and/or 'samba server' (or are they the same thing?)
- Gigabit Lan
- At least 1xUSB 3.0
- Primarily using it for:
- Time Machine backup for MAC
- Recording from Trendnet POE IP Camera (hence '*')
- Secondary usage:
- Cloud storage

I am still unsure which router I would be getting, but I don't believe it actually matters right? Anyway it would definitely be one of the latest AC routers, currently inclining towards ASUS AC87U or AC3200.

So a few questions here...

1. Have I answered all the questions about why and what I need the NAS to do? If not what else should I look out for?
  2. I value quality, but it must also be value for money, so what brands of NAS should I focus my attention on?
  3. I will assume a home grade NAS will work well for me?
  4. If I am not looking at doing RAID 1, would I be able to use my the 2 HDD separately for different purposes?
  5. If I get a 4-Bay NAS, would I be able to have 2 sets of RAID 1?

No, you haven't answered your own question completely. You mentioned features you want. You didn't say what you intend to do with it. Will it be for small business files, media files, random files you want to backup somewhere, or something else. How many files and how much storage are involved?

How do you expect to use it next year or later?

Basically, you're looking at QNAP, Asustor, Synology, or other major storage supplier. The model and/or configuration is yet to be defined based on your ultimate needs.

My only suggestion is future proof it in terms of processing capabilities. Find a model that meets your budget with a large enough processor and enough memory.

No, you haven't answered your own question completely. You mentioned features you want. You didn't say what you intend to do with it. Will it be for small business files, media files, random files you want to backup somewhere, or something else. How many files and how much storage are involved?

How do you expect to use it next year or later?

Basically, you're looking at QNAP, Asustor, Synology, or other major storage supplier. The model and/or configuration is yet to be defined based on your ultimate needs.

My only suggestion is future proof it in terms of processing capabilities. Find a model that meets your budget with a large enough processor and enough memory.
As mentioned above
- Secondary usage:
- Cloud storage (random stuff) probably media files like music, videos and photos for sharing among devices.

No specific size, but looking at getting at least 1TB HDD.

Usage habit should remain the same for the foreseeable future.

So QNAP Asustor and Synology are the "known" brands for NAS?

How will processor and memory affect the performance of the NAS. Like in what way?

As mentioned above
- Secondary usage:
- Cloud storage (random stuff) probably media files like music, videos and photos for sharing among devices.

No specific size, but looking at getting at least 1TB HDD.

Usage habit should remain the same for the foreseeable future.

So QNAP Asustor and Synology are the "known" brands for NAS?

How will processor and memory affect the performance of the NAS. Like in what way?

Since you're having difficulty defining your needs more precisely, Why not plug a USB drive into your new router (when you decide on that) and see if that's enough. You probably have one sitting around the house somewhere.

Synology or QNAP.
Start with 2 bay product. Mine has two volumes, one as Time Backup (versioning), no RAID no SHR.

Hi,
+1, get your feet wet first. Get a box and while start using it, OP, you'll know what you want.
Making things first time right is not easy. You learn by doing.

Try this for general background. Although written a few years ago, the information still applies (except for the example products).
http://www.smallnetbuilder.com/nas/nas-basics/30914-how-to-buy-a-nas-shorter-version
I actually read another one from the sticky, but I will take a look at this too
Since you're having difficulty defining your needs more precisely, Why not plug a USB drive into your new router (when you decide on that) and see if that's enough. You probably have one sitting around the house somewhere.
Actually I was thinking of that too, but I don't really have the luxury of time to test whether the camera can record direct to my external HDD via my router cause it requires recording to 'root folder' and/or 'samba server'.

Synology or QNAP.
Start with 2 bay product. Mine has two volumes, one as Time Backup (versioning), no RAID no SHR.
thanks will take a look at that

Hi,
+1, get your feet wet first. Get a box and while start using it, OP, you'll know what you want.
Making things first time right is not easy. You learn by doing.
definitely nothing beats trying, but I don't really have the luxury of cash so requires some more research and advice to make the most informed decision.