What's new

Questions about subtle ethernet cord setup.

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

element72

Occasional Visitor
I am buying an unshielded 100ft white ethernet cord from monoprice. I wanted to know if it's ok for the ethernet cord to run along the ceiling and go above a cord used for my ceiling lamp. And is it ok to use white electrical tape or white vinyl tape on one section of the ethernet setup?

I am buying an unshielded 100ft white ethernet cord from monoprice. I wanted to know if it's ok for the ethernet cord to run along the ceiling and go above a cord used for my ceiling lamp. And is it ok to use white electrical tape or white vinyl tape on one section of the ethernet setup?
Look for the specification: If it's CAT5 only you will have problems with modern routers as they need CAT5e or CAT6 specification of the cables to run stable!

Look for the specification: If it's CAT5 only you will have problems with modern routers as they need CAT5e or CAT6 specification of the cables to run stable!
I plan on buying this here. Is "Monoprice Next business day $6.99", actually overnight shipping price? That sounds like a great price for overnight shipping. Cat5e is what the specs show.

But with respect, you still didn't answer my questions/concerns. I guess I'm worried about interference or latency that might arise.

I run my cables with no regard for interference and I have not yet had a problem. They drape over power cords, power supplies, monitors, modems, HVAC ducts, phone-lines, and probably other things that I neglected to care about.

Can you clarify your question about electrical tape? If you are thinking of splicing, don't. For securing wires, electrical tape does not hold. Screw-down clamps, zip-ties, or velcro straps are my preference. Sometimes duct-tape.

The CAT specification actually influences the speed a lot. Cat5 will only get 100Mb/s or just 10Mb/s. Cat5e will give you 1Gb/s up to 100M. Ethernet uses digital so interference isnt really an issue, but interference can only cause a few Mb/s drop so theres not much to worry. The major interference to wiring is electromagnetic interference from non digital sources.

Another thing to make sure is that the cables have 8 conductors at the ends instead of 4. Its the same with rj11 cables for DSL, you want those with 4 conductors instead of 2.

You will also want to avoid cables that are only copper clad, even if the cables will be heavier the pure copper also influences the link rate you get.

I run my cables with no regard for interference and I have not yet had a problem. They drape over power cords, power supplies, monitors, modems, HVAC ducts, phone-lines, and probably other things that I neglected to care about.

Can you clarify your question about electrical tape? If you are thinking of splicing, don't. For securing wires, electrical tape does not hold. Screw-down clamps, zip-ties, or velcro straps are my preference. Sometimes duct-tape.

The white tape is to make the cable subtle, so the owner of the house doesn't complain to me :). I don't like the text on the ethernet cable too, so I figured white tape would be good to camo and hold the ethernet cable as it runs alongside the wall and floor.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!