What's new

R7000 & AC68U - Dilemma over an issue

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

mjp93

Occasional Visitor
I had already planned to buy asus, but after seeing the usb 3.0 speed issues i m taken aback.

I saw threads from 2013-2015 with complaints of low usb 3.0 speeds.

So is that got fixed via custom fw (if any one's using it). Or the problem persists?

Or rather i should go for other device?

My sole usage is to stream videos from hdd connected to router.

I think that even with the low(er) USB speeds of the Asus, you will still be fast enough to stream videos from it.

Asus is far above other manufacturers (of consumer routers) when all aspects are considered.

I think that even with the low(er) USB speeds of the Asus, you will still be fast enough to stream videos from it.

Asus is far above other manufacturers (of consumer routers) when all aspects are considered.
Okay then getting the asus ac68u device.

My sole usage is to stream videos from hdd connected to router.
then buy a nice cheap nas enclosure and put the hdd in it and connect to router via giga ethernet and get far far far better throughput

A lot of the issues with all consumer grade router/AP's and USB3 is that they're basically CPU and memory limited - on a fast CPU, network copies are just as fast as they would be on a SATA disk...

Over on my series thread - Linux with Samba on an Intel J1800 with a USB3 Seagate Backup Portable Disk - easily hits 120MB/sec (that is Bytes, not bits)