What's new

R7000 on Asuswrt-Merlin high cpu when uploading with Amazon Drive

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

jraynorlxx

Occasional Visitor
Hi there,

Router Netgear R7000 using Asuswrt-Merlin with latest build. There is no usb drive connected.
Windows Home Server is connected to the router through two netgear gigabyte switch.

I want to try Amazon Cloud Drive and use it to backup some of my videos and musics from my Windows Home Server. So I used Amazon Drive Desktop App to upload those.

The first thing I noticed is that my upload speed is limited to around 8 Mbps despite the settings in the App. This is not fast considering I actually have FIOS 50/50 Mpbs connection and the server is connected through 1000 Mbps ethernet. It is a very stable speed, so it appears to be some kind of software cap I am not aware of.

The second thing I noticed is that when the App is uploading, my whole network slows down with high latency. If I try to ping my router when uploading, the respond time went from 0 ms to 40-200 ms with occasional drops (!!) on gigabyte wired connection.

Then I noticed that my Router cpu went from 0% most of time to around 20-30% when the App is uploading.

This situation is not found when uploading individual files on Amazon Drive website directly.

I have tried a couple settings on the router, but nothing seems to help.
Here is a list of settings I tried:
NAT acceleration on/off
QOS on/off
OpenVPN server on/off

In short, it appears that using Amazon Drive desktop App to upload content result my router cpu to work under high load and increased my whole network latency.

Any idea to fix this would be appreciated. Of course, I can just give up Amazon Drive. ;)

Thanks!

Router Netgear R7000 using Asuswrt-Merlin with latest build.

Not really a supported configuration from any perspective - it would be hard for the Netgear folks to support an AsusWRT branch, and it's not fair to the AsusWRT folks to try and support a Netgear device.

Netgear has great support for third party firmware - DDWRT and the like...