What's new

R7000 or Ubiquiti UAP-AC-LITE

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

beedix

New Around Here
All of my routing is handled through a Ubiquity EdgeMax Lite so I need a dedicated wireless AP. Everything in my home is wired with the exception of the portables (phones, laptops, tablets). Almost all of my bandwidth use would be on the wired end. Only the usual email\web and an occasional PLEX movie or directv app streaming video content to a tablet.

Max coverage is high on my list. Max wireless throughput is probably not all that critical.

Any recommendation?

Max coverage is high on my list.
then you would be best to map your environment with a borrowed wifi device to see if in fact one transmission is going to cut it as even the best transmission have their limitations based on the construction materials and environment around your location and we cant tell you how any device will perform in a specific location

the R7000 and UAP-ACs are totally different markets. One is a wifi router and the other is a dedicated AP. You definitely dont need the features on the R7000 so if the UAP ACs are cheaper than you should go for them. There are many different APs though not just ubiquiti. Mikrotik has indoor APs too and let you connect your own antennas to them and they were actually released cheaper than the first indoor AC AP from ubiquiti but mikrotik's one was the board only. What impresses me is that mikrotik's indoor APs have usb and SFP giving you more options of what you can do including wiring as you can use thinner fibre optics or other types of medium. While mikrotik's routerOS isnt as pretty as ubiquiti's GUI they have more featuresets.

There are also other companies such as enGenius and many more when it comes to indoor APs.

The only reason to use the R7000 is if you dont need POE and if it offered better range and perhaps the other features on it that you could utilise. It also can act as an ethernet switch too aside from an AP so the R7000 is a 4 port switch + wifi + usb.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!