What's new

R7000 vs AC68U vs N66U + More help (small family)

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

catspit33

New Around Here
I was wondering if you could help me. I currently have a DLink DIR-655 and has been working fine for my PS4 which I plug into the router, and for my 2 kids tablets and 2 iphones.

Recently my DIR-655 has been dropping connections and I am looking to upgrade..

a lot of people have suggested the Nighthawk R7000, the Asus AC68U is 40$ more than the nighthawk where I live. one person also said maybe the Asus N66U. you are able to unbrick ASUS easy? but nighthawk it needs tool ordered if you mess up flashing?

I am looking for Stability (no problem using custom firmware).. as good as wifi that I am getting currently from my DIR-655 to keep the family happy and not too much else.

Could you please give me some insight/recommendations?

From personal experience, if you don't look into running 3rd party firmware on the R7000 or any other Netgear router, I'd avoid Netgear. They have great hardware, but their firmware has to be the worst out of the more mainstream brands. I'd definitely choose ASUS AC68U

looks like you currently use a R7000? I don't know how much I would play with custom firmware.. maybe I would really get into it.. not sure.. just looking for my Wired connections to have solid uptime. from what I read... you cant really go wrong with either router... I guess I am wondering if the 40$ difference is worth grabbing the AC68U when the nighthawk is right up there also.

Yes, I use the R7000 currently. I bought it because I thought it will solve my IPv6 issues I was getting on a TP-Link Archer C7. Unfortunately, it didn't and actually made them worse and in the end I couldn't return it any more. So I thought "OK, I spent all that $$ for it so why not use it with something different? it's decent hardware". If you throw out the Netgear FW and load something else (Tomato/XVortex/DD-WRT/etc) it's right there at the top of the AC1900 list. Never had any stability issues with it in the past 1 and a half year of using it

I was only able to find a AC68U with Revision # A2 which is the 800mhz version.. that's still better than the Nighthawk?

There is nothing wrong with the netgear R7000 for a normal user both the R7000 and RT-AC68U best 1900 routers in the class